

Milo's Sweet Tea is coveted by many. So don't say anything bad about it.
We are home to Vulcan it is the largest cast iron statue in the world and the largest metal statue ever made in the United States. Vulcan stands 56 feet tall, from toe to spear point, upon a 124-foot pedestal rising to a height of 180 feet and weighs 101,200 pounds. 
We also have some very starnge laws. Here are just a few...
Bear wrestling matches are prohibited. (Apparently someone must have tried this once. I wonder who lost?)
Incestuous marriages are legal. (yep you can marry your cousin, brother, uncle)
It is considered an offense to open an umbrella on a street, for fear of spooking horses. (I haven't seen very many horses on the streets but I suppose it could happen.)
It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church. (Idon't really know what to say about this one)
Boogers may not be flicked into the wind. (good to know)
Men may not spit in front of the opposite sex. (that's right, how rude)
It is illegal for a husband to beat his wife with a stick larger in diameter than his thumb. (you've got to be kidding)
It is unlawful to wear women's pumps with sharp, high heels. (strippers beware)
Women are able to retain all property they owned prior to marriage in the case of divorce. However, this provision does not apply to men. (poor guys can never catch a break. It's mine all mine bwhahahaha)
It is unlawful to howl at ladies inside the city limits. (construction workers take notice)
Well I hope you all have enjoyed your visit here. Ya'll come back now and stay a while. We're always up for company.











60 comments:
I love those obscure state laws. Fun stuff. Read more of your blog, too. You and Richard have certainly been added to my prayer list :) I'll be back.
Stopping by from BATW. Some of those laws are funny... I wouldn't mind having the spitting one enforced all over. Ewww... I hope you enjoy your day!
That's a strange statue!
No howling and spitting? Nice!
Coming from BATW and I LOVED reading those funny laws. Thanks for sharing. Alabama is a place I've never been, but sounds like a good time. :)
Hi Kori, I'm a former resident of the Great State of Alabama. I'm glad that BATW featured you and your blog. You are an inspiration to many and I know I feel blessed because I stopped by and read awhile. I'll pray for Richard and you and the boys. I'll check back again.
I raise my eyes toward the mountains. Where will my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1,2
Joy in Texas
very, very funny. a lot of the older states have really funny laws that are so not needed any more and have gone out of style (and date) those were funny ones that you pulled up...i'm featured tomorrow and still am wondering what to put down about our great state!
Stopping in from Louisiana and BATW. Funny laws, and I love your blog. What a strong family you all are.
And btw, I pick Alabama, because Auburn is a bigger threat to us LSU Tigers. =) haha
I love those laws; one of my favorite ones here is that you cannot shoot a giraffe from the roadway. Becuase, you know, that is really a problem here in IDAHO! Thanks for letting us share a little bit of your world.
Congratulations on your feature. I live in North Alabama but have still never been to see the Vulcan.
I love those state laws. I guess I should see what I can and can't do in Arizona...
Oh I love this post!!! How funny! Those are GREAT laws....I totally agree with them....especially the no booger flicking!!! Yaaay, Alabama!!!
What a great tour! Ms. Oklahoma here saying hi! My grandfather's family was from Alabama and chose the side of Auburn! I can't wait to read more about you! But for now...I'm off to get some lunch started for my little guy! Have a great day!
Another coming by from BATW! Thanks for a great first intro to the state of Alabama!
Now that I know a little about your state laws and all *giggle*, I'm gonna read more and get to know you!
I know in Minneapolis it's illegal to drive a red car. if I remember correctly there was some "crook" they were trying to catch, and needed a legimate reason to pull him over, and .. he just happened to be driving a red car! So they invoked that law and got him for whatever it was that they wanted him for....
Happy BATW day sweetie. Still praying!
Those are too funny... I wonder what off the wall laws Mississippi has?? Off to go check....
Nice to meet you! :)
Blue laws are hilarious to read. Kind of outdated. Like the electoral college. When are they gonna get rid of that?
I've heard of this tea. My friend from Louisiana loves it!
Q & A answers tomorrow at my place.
I love the laws, some are good and they should remember them. hehe
What a life you have! You and your family will be in my prayers. I have a friend whose 7 year old has CF. I may pass your blog on to her. I am glad I got to visit. I am from TN, but say ROLL TIDE (and my brother is at Auburn!!). God bless you!
Thanks for putting a smile on my face. The laws are nutty and your family has amazing strength.
God bless.
Great laws, those were created by some of our finest leaders!!
Congrats on your BATW day. I hope you are having fun!!
I read down a ways into your blog and am amzed by the strength that you have. I will add your famiy to my prayers.
I also went over to 5 minutes for moms.............was there a place to vote for you to win the laptop? I didn;t see one. I do hope you win though..
Take care and many blessings!
thanks for making me laugh with those state laws...i needed that today!
Funny laws! That statue is a little strange.... lol~
Surfing in from BATW. I think my most fav law is one about construction workers howling at ladies. That is funny. wish we had that in new york. I will keep your Richard and your family in my thoughts.
Love the randomness of the laws!! Atleast they got it right with no spitting!! eww...
I love the random laws. Here on the Planet Utah I am sure ther have to be some strange laws on the books I will have to look and see what I can find.
Thanks for the tour.
I lost 3 cousins to Alabama.
Here from BATW. I really enjoyed the odd laws, I think bear wrestling or a mustache in church has to be my personal fave!
Visiting via BATW...I'm a Bama girl too and I have laughed at many of those laws many times, some are new, even to me.
We really should right a new state constitution.... :)
Those laws were great ones! I wonder when the last time anyone called the police from the church about the moustache thing :)?!
This is my favorite part about BATW, btw, I REALLY love getting to learn about different states!
Thanks for giving me a hilarious tour :)!
I admire your bravery and humor.
Thanks for the tour!
Stopping by on my BATW tour from California!
I learned some new stuff about Alabama; thank you. :-)
I am putting you on my bloglines, so that I will see you daily and will not forget to pray for you all.
{{HUGS}}
I love the laws! I will have to contact some of my friends in 'Bama and make sure that they know about them! I am not from Bama nor have I lived there...but my best friend and her ENTIRE family have all graduated and married their significant others from the University of Alabama! So, I too have held true to be a fan of 'Bama and dispise Auburn!
Thanks for the insights on Alabama! Stopped by via BATW...stop by my blog anytime!
Gotta love a state where you can't spit, howl or wear laughter-inducing moustaches but you can marry your brother (hey it worked for the English monaarchy!).
It was fun to stop by. :)
Darcy
I know I just left a comment...but I want to add on. I went and looked some more at your blog and I want to tell you that your family will be in my prayers. I know that it can be tough. My sister-in-law was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer 3 years ago this month. She was given only 12 to 18 months to live. She is still fighting it with belief in God and the determination not to listen to a prognosis. I wish you all the best with making wonderful memories during this time.
Coming to you by way of BATW. Hubby heard me laughing and had to see what was so funny! Thanks for sharing those laws.
That was brilliant. Can you hear me laughing in VA?
Wow...this was too funny! Thanks for sharing! Great blog!
How funny! Those are some crazy laws. Hope you've been enjoying your day in the spotlight!
Wow, what some crazy laws....haha! Funny reading that sort of thing isn't it.
Tracy
Well, I would have to be on my best behavior to avoid a run in with the law in Alabama!!!
Great post...thanks for hosting...can you send some of that sweet tea my way?!
I'm here via BATW!
I lived in Huntsville for one year... moved there in June 1986 and we left in August 1987.
Those old laws are too funny!
How'd ya do it, girl? Way to pull off a great post! As if you have time.
I hope you've had a fun time today. I'm glad to know that if I visit AL nobody will be howling at me--I'll be sure to stay within the city limits!
I love the laws. I wonder if you could file a complaint of someone spit on the sidewalk in front of you?
Enjoy your day to shine. It is great fun. I am still thanking everyone who visited me and it was three days ago. Almost forgot to come over and visit you.
Come on over and visit any time.
Where did you find these treats/treasures? Funny and some are a little scary too. I'll have to keep them in mind during my next visit.
some of those are funny, thanks for sharing them
Hello and thanks for making me laugh with the obscure laws... those are a riot!
I will be praying for you and your family. I am off to read previous posts and learn more! God Bless...
As a little girl who spent most of my growing up years in Alabama, I thought the Alabama-Auburn game was the game of the nation. It wasn't until I moved to Tennessee that I realized that it wasn't quite as riveting to people outside our state.
Since I grew up an Alabama fan but married an Auburn fan from Georgia, we have kept things neutral by cheering for UK, since he went to law school in Kentucky. But living in Alabama again has presented some challenges, as neither of us will concede to cheer for the other team.
Alright, I just about laughed at all those laws!!! I've got to remember no flicking boogers when we visit AL... for my 6 year old of course.. OK OK.. for the hubby! LOL
Have a great day!
Good to know men can beat their wives with a SMALL STICK, crazy! And you can flick a booger, but just not flick a booger into the wind? LOL
I'm stopping by from BATW...I'm a day behind and trying to catch up! I loved your strange laws! Hilarious!
I love your blog! I live in WV and we have some strange laws still on record here too! One of them~It is only legal to beat your wife on the courthouse steps.
so are you an AU fan?
Stopping by to say Hi from Louisiana. Hope your are having a great day. Loved reading your blog. Much Love From Queen Bee!
Those were great! I'm sure we have some like that in Mississippi, us bein' neighbors and all.
Hey Kori,
This is a great post. Sorry I'm late for your BATW day. It's been a crazy week here...and I'm just now catching up.
Crazy laws...it's amazing some of them have never been changed. Funny!
That makes me wonder what crazy state laws California has!
Thanks for the tour!
LOL that is funny you did the obscure state laws!!! LOL
fun tour of your fair state! I'm cruising through from BATW...nice to meet you!!
I'm tardy in taking my BATW tour, but enjoyed my visit to Alabama on your blog. I have to say, though, that even if I were to live there, I'd still be a die-hard HUSKER. :o)
Post a Comment