Thursday, August 7, 2008

Peer Pressure

So last night when I pulled into my driveway. Calob came out and met me at the car.

He says "Mom me and Jacob have done something really bad and Daddy said we have to tell you about it ourselves."

First thought was Uh oh what have they done cause with boys I have learned you just never know what their gonna do next.

So I go inside the house take my shoes off sit down and wait.

Jacob comes out and has a seat. I look at Richard and say "you gonna give me some warning here so I know what to expect." And he says "nope I want you to get the full effect." Oh great here we go.

I then look at Calob with my Mommy knows all eyes and say what is going on Ca (pronounced Kay) And very fast he says we dipped.

So as we all know sometimes I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. And I say skinny dipping because we live next to a creek. And Richard starts laughing.

Jacob then pipes in and says "Mom we dipped tobacco. It was gross and we will never do it again. I felt bad and decided to come tell ya'll about it."

So of course we had the talk about saying no and not doing things just to fit in with your buddies. I think it went very well.

Now I know ya'll are all curious as to where the actual dip came from. No it was not me nor was it Richard. We have a small little rental house next door and their is a guy that lives there with his 2 sons B and T. B is 13 and T is 11. The boys have all become very good friends. Well apparently the Dad buys and lets his 13 year old dip tobacco. Which I think is completely absurd. Why would you do that? Now I may could understand if said son was old enough but there is a reason why you have to be 19 to buy tobacco products. Anyways Richard went over and talked to the Dad. And I think they have come to an agreement that B is not to bring it to our house nor offer it to the boys ever again. B is older and the boys wanted him to think they were cool I suppose. So peer pressure got the best of them. I am just glad that they didn't like it and that they made the right decision to be honest with Richard and I. We have always told the boys that if they do something wrong, if they just come and tell us about it so we can talk about it that their punishment will be alot less worse than if we were told by someone else or found out ourselves. I am so glad that they chose to do the right thing and tell the truth.

Guess I must be doing something right when it comes to this parenting thing.

11 comments:

Kori said...

Isn't it comforting to have those occasional glimpses that we are doing SOMETHING right? I don't know about you, but I often feel like I don't get them enough. I had to laugh out loud, though, because my first thought would also have been skinny dipping...and with my boys, that is probably likely at some point in the future.

Anonymous said...

Okay, and I'm sorry if I sound like a complete idiot, but what is "dipping tobacco"?? Is that like when people chew on it and spit it out?

That's great that your boys felt they could be honest with you about that!

BBB said...

Oh I am SO glad they didn't like it. And yeah for them for coming clean. You paved a great way for them to feel like they can be honest with you when they screw up. WEll done Mom & Dad, well done.

Susie said...

13! And his dad buys him tobacco?! I worry about K getting caught up in the peer pressure, especially in the area we live. There are a lot of rich families in the area we live. It is known for the "rich kids". I grew up here and my parents were far from rich. K is growing up here and her parents are far far from rich. The school is good, that is what we are concerned with. But I monitor all her friends who are allowed to come over and if I ever see anyone of them doing something they shouldn't, they know I will tell their parents and will say something to him.

K is a good kid, just like your boys. She has always come to me and told me things and feels bad when I "catch" her doing something wrong and tell her about it, kind of like the texting thing. She had no idea that she was going something she wasn't supposed to do.

I dread the teenage years with the rich kids trying to have her do something she knows she shouldn't. Hopefully we have given her enough confidence that she will say no when the time comes.

I am glad they felt that they could come to you and tell you the truth. You did good, mom!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Gross, nasty, gross! I can't believe they tried it, but at least they admitted to it (which means they knew they were doing the wrong thing to begin with)! I would say good job, momma.

FlipFlop Mom said...

Ok.. don't smack me.. but I giggled a bit because the scene in "The Sandlot" just came to mind... have you seen this movie??? If NOT you have to... and you'll see what I mean!!!

Tobacco is GROSS... but.. this is a BIG learning experience for the kiddos... and I'm glad that they came to you.. tells me.. they trust you greatly... and that's an awesome FEELING!!!


You're welcome on the pickles... tee hee.. I have another STASH of cukes to do.. I'm going to aim for dills this time!!
Now if my green beans would just GROW!!

Gina said...

You're doing a GREAT job!!! How wonderful that they are convicted enough AND feel safe enough to come to you when they mess up and need to get it off their chests.
I think Dad next door needs to be turned in for allowing his son to develop mouth cancer by age 20. How horrible!!!
Sometimes we have to try something to overcome the temptation and realize it's not all we thought it would be. So they got it out of their system!!
Boys will be boys, won't they??
Good job, momma!!

Louisa Claire said...

good parenting indeed! but excuse my ignorance...what is dipping? Oh goodies, just read the rest of the comments and am glad I am not the only person who is out of the loop on this.

Tam said...

Yeah Sandlot!!!! I am with FLIP FLOP MOM! LOL I am laughing with YOU secretly behind the boys back! LOL LOL Puking can occur with the first dipping....so I have been told...

OK on a serious side Gross and thank god they came to tell you.

Anonymous said...

How cool that they came clean with you. I'm glad they didn't like it. That is gross....gross teeth, gross breath....gross gross gross.

Yes, peer pressure sucks and I'm sure there will be lots of discussions about that in my future with Z.

WheresMyAngels said...

Yuk!

Don't you hate when parents encourage their children to do stuff like that.

I remember one of my girl friends chewing it in high school! Bleh!