Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Discrimination

Ok so maybe that's a strong word to use.

But I have been all over the place to try and find a descent bathing suit. Why is it that stores have rows upon rows of suits for the skinny women. But only one rack for the pleasantly plump woman.

I understand that I am no longer the skinny person I once was. I am know longer in the single digit sizes. And I am Ok with that. I love me and my body (and so does the Hubby) But I don't think I should have to wear a terrible looking bathing suit to make me look worse. And why do they use all the pretty colors and patterns for the skinny bathing suits.

I mean us big girls only get the ugly colors and those big flower patterns. YUCK!

I like to think I pick out cute clothes for myself that accentuates my curves. And all I want is a bathing suit that does the same. I'm not asking for much. Geez

8 comments:

Susie said...

Yes! And how come you can only find three or four styles of one piece suits and dozens upon dozens of bikinis and those shirt type ones that float up in the water. I did bathing suit shopping this weekend as well. Then to top it off, they charge you an arm and a leg for a small piece of fabric that makes you look like a disgusting floral arrangement. Okay, I'm done. We will never mention this again.

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister!!!!

WheresMyAngels said...

You either get Black or the flowers to pick from. All my bathing suits since I got fat (going on 18 years now) are black! lol

Tam said...

Ah yes Ah yes quite the problem! I could write page after page about the horrible injustices of it all. Also have you noticed that plus size costs more! I guess because of the extra material! So we live in a Community that has a swim pool and after all we pay some big buck to the HOA to have that right! I have to have bathing suits and well honey they have to be plus size!!!! So last year during the winter MONTHS...I started surfing the web and bought 6 plus size suits for hardly anything on clearance and they are awesome...cute and the colors rock! So check in the winter MONTHS for clearance. It rocked however MY husband thought it strange that I was getting boxes of Bathing Suits in November and December!!!!! I like bold colors and I get so tired of the black for plus size gals!!!! LETS take back the right to WEAR a Bathing SUIT....are you gals with ME! ARE you laughing....you will find something! Have you checked out Lane Bryant or Avenue?????

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I hope you are able to find something. I always have a hard time, too! And, especially now that I am pregnant but don't want a maternity suit! YUCK!

krissy said...

I cannot even discuss swim suits. I cannot wear dental floss for a swimsuit.

Anonymous said...

I hear you. I have trouble finding something also and considering I need to find one every few months, since I teach swimming lessons to young ones, once I find one I get several since I know it will be hard to find later.

BBB said...

Ok - my first suggestion is Lands End...

THEN I will stop and commisserate with you because SERIOUSLY just because I'm FAT doesn't mean I want to wear a black suit! I want colors, I want CUTE (well, what I REALLY want is plaid but that is obviously WAY too much to ask for)

And that whole "pay more because it's plus sized" racket. Whatever - go to the petite section - they don't pay LESS because there's LESS material...

Big crock.