So as I sit here in my nice warm cozy bed listening to my husband watch his beloved Alabama Football team at the Sugar Bowl in the living room. I keep hearing words like... embarrassing, unbelievable, come on John Parker get it together. Pretty funny stuff.
I also hear my two youngens sitting in the kitchen floor with their Ninetendo Ds's playing some game with the boy in the house next door. Yes they are sitting in the floor up against the cabinets in the kitchen because "Mom this is the only place we can get a signal without freezing outside."
Anyways back to me. This Blog really is about me ya know. I mean can't ya tell? Haha
So Ok I have been trying to plan our Disney Trip. TRYING. I am very much overwhelmed.
There are only 70 Days LEFT!
I am not a planner. I am definitely a fly by the seat of my britches kind of girl.
I know I need to be making some reservations at places to eat. But where?
I have all the books. The Guide to Walt Disney World books. I have been to the website.
But ya'll I don't even know where to begin.
This is where you come in. I need ya'lls help.
Tell me places we absolutely shouldn't miss seeing, places we go to get our grub on.
I am really contemplating going without a plan. I certainly don't want to over plan. Is it necessary to have a plan? Can we just go and be and enjoy? Is that possible? Is it better to plan? Oh my goodness, oh my goodness.
What do you think? Give me some suggestions, tell me what you loved most about Disney.
6 months ago











43 comments:
Sorry, don't have any Disney advice, but just wanted to say HAVE FUN! Well, there, I guess that is advice, isn't it?!
You know, I have a different perspective of Disney because we live so close...I really don't have any "MUST dos" for you. The only piece of advice is try not to plan too much...there's nothing worse than seeing families miserable that the forced planned fun isn't working out!
I don't have Disney advice either, I've never been there, but I would guess that making a reservation for at least one niceish place ahead of time would be a nice touch...maybe in the middle of the week when you've had a couple of days to soak things in but not at the end of the week when you're kind of tired. Another thing you could try is calling the woman (travel agent, Disney agent??) who called with the info that you were going to go to DL and asking for help. Or you could call Disney's guest services and ask for help or the hotel possibly. I think that having at least a vague outline helps a bit. But I'm not a fly by the seat kind of gal either....one of the things I am working on...being flexible. =) good luck.
DO NOT GO WITHOUT A PLAN!
You will end up wandering around, feeling overwhelmed and lost.
Go ask my sister, Michelle. And Kat. They will have some great suggestions.
I have already booked (with the help of our travel agent) our dinners. One character meal. And one breakfast at the Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom. Call your travel agent (or Kat) and have them help you. Go to the library and get "Idiot's Guide to Walt Disney World 2009". It's awesome!
Good luck.
Why aren't you calling me about this? :-)
If you want to eat at a sit down restaurant...you MUST have a reservation. Must! But...they are not inexpensive. Maybe talk to me - talk to the boys - look at the guide books and pick one or two. Do you want a character meal? Do you want something fun - like sitting in a convertible at the Sci-Fi drive in and watch promos for B-movies from the 50's? Or the really fun Whispering Canyon cafe at Wilderness Lodge? Or something from one of the countries at Epcot?
And I would have some sort of plan. You can see what the crowd patterns are predicted so you can choose the least crowded park.
You can still be flexible with your "plan" because you can always "hop" to a different park. Or go back to your hotel to rest or swim.
We're taking Baby Girl in May for her 4th birthday. We've already made plans at Cinderella's table and for the Bippity-Boppity Boo Boutique. I know you don't have girls, but I don't go ANYWHERE without a plan. We were told to make reservations 180 days out, but since you're going in what is considered the "off season," maybe you won't have a problem.
Sorry, but I have to agree with your sweet hubby! Alabama needs a lift!! ROLL TIDE!!
Are you going to Disneyland or Disneyworld? I am a Disneyland junkie but I have never been to Disneyworld. So if it's Disneyland you are planning for than I would be happy to help you out.
See above - Kat
I'm going to send you an email now...
I don't have any advice, as I haven't been there since I was 17 and didn't do any planning that time either!! :) However - I know we used AAA and they were great. We went for mine and my husbands birthdays and got SPOILED! We told everyone it was our birthday and got all kinds of goodies. lol!
On top of that... try to eat at Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast. Yuuuuuum! So good! :) And it's buffet style so the kids can get whatever they want and as much as they want! :)
Yes, you need a plan. One of the best souvenirs for kids is a autograph book. Get it right when you get in the park. Then when they see their Disney characters, they can have their books signed. Better than a bunch of silly stuff...I am sure your boys have favorite characters and stories. I would hit those activities first...It is big and the day is not long enough...but you and hubby will be beat!!
Hi there! The best advice I got was from a cab driver and it turned out to be one of the best parts of our trip. Here it is: When you take the monorail, as you are boarding and getting in line, ask a worker if anyone is riding with the driver/captain, and if not, they will let you ride with them! You can sit up right at the front, I think they only allow 4 people, but the four of you and the driver. My kids thought that was the coolest thing EVER! Good luck and have fun!
You are going to have SO much fun!!!
Unfortunately the only thing I can tell you is to not miss the fireworks!!
go with somewhat of a plan...but do not overplan! i suggest, as someone did above, the sci-fi drive in where you eat in the cars...boys will love that!
Hi! I'm very much a planner, but usually we don't make a strict scheduled plan when we go. We just figure out what parks we want to go to on what days and for how long. But usually when we get there, we throw all plans out the window and wing it. I hope you have great weather and a wonderful time!
I am absolutely no help to ya here. I've never been to Disney...but, I would at least have a plan in place...but, like Lori said, I wouldn't overplan.
Good Luck!
I would go with at least a partial plan. Make a list of things you absolutly would be upset if you didn't get to do. There are sooo many things to do, not having a plan may be overwhelming.
I'm a Florida girl and know the parks pretty well. Keep on asking :) I would love to help you out - I'm off to look up the names of some of the restaurants we love in the parks. Feel free to e-mail me, too!
I have been going to Disney once a year since I was 10 months old. I am extremely fortunate to have gone so many times and I have even performed there. In fact I will write out an itinerary for you and send it to you! Just tell me the days you're going and I'll make one up for you ASAP.
My brother is 12 and he often goes with me so I know what the little guys like too.
Go to my friend Elizabeth's blog, ecaran.blogspot.com. She is a Disney FREAK. I think she's been three times this past year, twice in the past two months, and is going again in a month. She goes all the time. She knows everything that you must do for a once in a lifetime trip. Seriously, go to her blog, and just leave her a message that says "Amy says you MUST tell me what to do at Disneyworld." You'll probably be scared at all she tells you.
No advice either, but I'm so happy for you!
OMGosh! Totally agree with Mrs. S. We went back to the Magic Kingdom a second time just to see the fireworks. They are AMAZING!!!!! When we went my MIL planned a lot of things, but we figured out where we wanted to go on which day once we were there. I have heard though, that if you want to have meals with any of the characters, you need to plan those pretty far in advance.
Not much advice, but I'm sure you'll get some good info from others that are more familiar. This past Sept. was my first time ever going to DW. You're going to have the time of your life!!
Okay, Uno's Pizza is good, as well as Tijuana Flats. If you like seafood and have about 150 dollars to spend you could go to Boston Lobster Feast for an all you can eat seafood buffet. Eric has eaten there and said it was awesome.
I know you will be meeting me while you're here. It would be awesome if I could cook for you all and have you eat at my house. Wouldn't that be awesome?
We made reservations at only 1 restaurant and it was awesome... the one where you can eat dinner next to the huge aquarium... totally worth it.
We had park hopper passes and would do Magic Kingdom every night (it emptied out at night and the fireworks were awesome). My boy liked EPCOT best, and we spent 3 of the 6 days there!
It was a fabulous vacation.
I have only been to Disney once and it was only for a day, but I have friend who LOVES Disney and she LOVES planning for Disney...do you want me to have her email you? They are going again in February, so she is very aware of what is going on there this year...let me know.
Hi Kori, when we went we didn't have our dining figured out or reserved. I was able to book a couple of character meals when we got there, but that was after spending a couple of hours on the phone. For sure book your character meals now!! You won't be sorry, even though your kids are a bit older they will love it.
Also, do you have a dining plan? Absolutely a must have. Meals are expensive and this is the only way to go.
As far as planning out your days, I would suggest plan out which park you are going to visit each day, but don't try to set a time schedule. Make sure you give yourself down time each day, and take a rest, or a swim at the pool.
Have fun!!
I'm the friend of Kristin's who's going in February and yes, I do love planning. Crazy, I know! We are staying at Pop Century resorts and will be having the dining plan. One of my favorite resturants is Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom. The inside is beautiful! We are also going to Whispering Canyon in Wilderness Lodge and I think your boys would love it! It's not a character meal, yet the servers make it a lot of fun for kids! Anyway, feel free to email me if you have any questions! Ps- You need to get the 2009 Passporter to help you plan!
I don't have any advise either...the closest I got to it was driving by it on a tour bus!! Does that count?! LOL!
You will have fun no matter how few plans you have. My friend who goes a lot, says they love the luau and a character breakfast.
Enjoy yourself!!
Hi Kori!
I just started reading your blog and I really enjoy it. Do you mind if I add you to my blog roll?
About Disney: my favorite thing was eating breakfast with the characters. And you really need to plan because you need reservations for food places. If you need help planning my friend Ashley loves Disney and goes every year. She even makes sample itineraries for other people. So send her an email or comment and she will have your Disney itinerary ready in no time. lifeofashleylancaster(dot)blogspot(dot) com
Sorry hon, I've never been to Disney World so I don't have the first clue about where to eat, let alone how to even get IN the place. But I hope you get many tips from all the bloggy love that graces your blog!!
Happy New Year...and breathe. :)
http://www.ridemax.com/ you have to check out this site. You tell it which rides or things you want to see and it will plan it out so you only have a few minute wait in any line. it will tell you which fast pass to get and at what time. Its only 15 bucks or something. My niece uses it all the time. Hugs Kelli
OoOoOO we live about an hour away from Disney!! I love just going to Downtown Disney :)
I reccommend RainForest CAfe. I think it is right outside Animal Kingdom (but part of the park). YUM.
Character meals are always fun for the kids you know!
OH you will have so much fun!!! I totally want to go now!!!
At MAgic Kingdom my favorite fave is the musical 3D thingy... hmmm... Maybe hosted by Donald?!?
hah.
ah well have FUN
Just want to say have a lovely time.
I don't have any must see or do places, but I have to say that you need to make reservations for eating. Otherwise you will wind up eating cruddy food at quick serve places. You definitely need a plan! The guide you bought has a lot of good advice in it. :-)
I haven't been since I was a child, so I'm no help at all. Nope, not one iota of help. Sorry.
But I'm jealous. And I hope you have an awesome time.
The luau was our favorite meal, well worth the price.
Nowhere was the coffee drinkable- bring your own to make in the hotel.
Our best times were the ones that just kind of happened- we felt rushed and not vacationy when we tried to keep to the schedule.
http://www.myloonyverse.com/2008/06/disney-our-way-part-1.html
I started my blog because of our Disney Trip- there are definitely some things I wish we had known ahead of time. The first 6 or 7 posts are about Disney if you are interested, and our impressions.
Oh, now the stuff is rollin' in. I would do Sci-Fi Diner for sure, you boys would love it. And do at least one dinner show. Your kids are older so Hoop De Do Musical Review would be great! Check out this website: http://allears.net/din/dining.htm
They have menus for all the places to eat on the Disney property. Helps if you have picky eaters.
A must do when you are there is:
Fantasmic at MGM
Mickys PhilharMagic at Magic Kingdom
Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom
Soarin' and IllumiNations at Epcot
Check out that allears.net website for details.
Have fun. I am so excited for you and for Heather. Wish I was coming with you guys.
I just found your blog and had to write. My husband is in stage IV cancer. It started in his bladder and has spread from there. He just completed his 2nd round of chemo and radiation and will have another PET scan next month. I know what you mean about Christmas being so stressful, we tried to make this his best Christmas ever (just in case). It sounds like y'all had a great one too!
As far as Disneyworld is concerned, it has been so long since we went that I couldn't tell you where to eat. Your boys will probably love Epcot. Have a wonderful trip~
I have no advice...sorry, but I havent' been to Disney in about 14 years (or so). Gah. I'm old.
I thought it was funny when you were saying Richard was yelling at the Alabama game. At the same time he was yelling I was screaming and cheering on my UTES! It was a great game.
I just started following your story! You and your family are an inspiration! Keep your chin up and keep on keeping on! I am excited for you guys to go see Mickey!
Xo
Somer Love
I loved eating at the House of Blues... yummm...
But seriously.. I went with my family 4 years ago for 12 days and we winged it... we just went and took each day at a time... I'm a planner.. but not a BIG TIME planner... I'm hoping to hit FL in a couple of weeks.. so if I do grace the doors of Disney.. I'll let them know you're coming.. ** wink wink**
I came here from Aspiemom's blog... and I've only taken a few moments to view... don't worry, I'll try to do some catching up. BUT... before I forget... I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on your request... I can probably provide lots of ideas if I knew a bit more about what you all are interested in, how you think your activities might be limited (if at all) due to hubby's CF and all. So... if interested... write me and we'll start a dialog... grace.slick91@yahoo.com
BTW... I have lived in FL most of my life... been to WDW numerous times... all the way from 1971 to now... am an annual pass holder... probably hit the parks at least a dozen times a year... live less than 2 hours away... you get the pix. :)
Back to the more serious note... prayers abound for you, your DH and your adorable boys. I can only imagine the next week or two... it will be hard... to not know yet... but you (I can tell) are very strong and you have a ton of people lifting you up.
Post a Comment