Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hatemail. Me? Really?

I have been keeping a little something in my back pocket for a while now. Debating if I should even bother replying. But ya know I have decided after much prayer that I am just gonna put it out there and be done with it. I mean what better way to do it than here at my blog. I mean this is where it all stems from anyway.

So here it goes. Hang on it's gonna be a very bumpy ride.

About a month or so ago I received an email. Okay so nothing unusual about that. I get emails from people I don't know pretty regularly. I mean my email is out there for anyone who wants it. Here I'll give it to you just so you won't have to look for it. It is cferswife@gmail.com send them on ya'll.

Ok so I proceed to open this email and I was flabbergasted.

The email said...

Anybody that knows anything about Cystic Fibrosis knows that you are a liar. Richard looks too healthy to have that deadly disease and I can't believe people actually fall for that. He's too old to have it and still be alive. It's horrible that you throw Cancer in the mix to really pull on peoples heart strings to try and get a handout. Is CF not enough for that? You should be arrested for taking advantage of people and playing with their emotions. It's also a shame that you use God the way you do to make people think that you are just so wonderful and holy when really you are nothing more than a worthless piece of trash.

So don't ya'll just think that is lovely? My very first hate mail. Guess I have reached RockStar status. Now I just need myself a stalker.

In all seriousness though. This has been a little disturbing to me. It really got me thinking how many people are reading my blog and thinking this way?

Then I stopped and prayed for them.

So to make me feel better I thought I would clear some things up.

Richard is 46 years old. He was diagnosed with CF when he was 3 back in 1965. His Mother was told then that he wouldn't live to graduate High school. He spent those next few years in and out of the hospital with bowel obstructions and alot of digestive issues. Up until he was 13 years old he slept every night in a mist tent. His first admission for a lung infection wasn't until he was 15. Ever since then he has gone in the hospital pretty regularly about every 3 to 4 months. We got married when I was 20 and Richard was 38. He was still going to Children's Hospital then. In 2001 the new CF center was opened at UAB Hospital and this is where he goes now. Richard has always been more healthy than some of the other CF's. He has lost many friends to this same dreaded disease. He watched his best friend Andrew die right in front of him. It's hard knowing that you have outlived alot of the friends you grew up with. I mean you develop relationships and strong bonds with these people that you spend 2 weeks with every couple of months. They become like family.

Just in the 8 years we have been married I can think of 4 that we have lost in that short period of time. Everyday someone dies from CF. Do you have any idea what it's like to pretty much know you are going to die by drowning in your own secretions? Richard has said many times he would rather get hit by bus than to die from CF. I guess when you are as old as he is and when you have lost so many people close to you from this, I think you have plenty a reason to feel that way. I have no reason to lie about this. My husband is one of the few that have lived past the life expectancy. We are more than thankful to God for everyday.

As far as the cancer goes. It is real. It is there. He is dying. I think it's wonderful that you think he looks so healthy. But you don't hear the cough that sounds like it hurts so bad. You don't see the pain in his eyes when he moves a certain way. You don't feel the warm tears as they fall on your cheek when he kisses you. You don't have to witness him taking something for pain that will hopefully just take the edge off enough to make it bearable. It's ME! But you know what. I wouldn't trade this life I have with him for anything. NOTHING.

Then there is the subject of taking advantage of people. Are you kidding me? This sentence has definitely been the most disturbing to me. I have never asked for anything EVER on my blog or anywhere else for that matter. I use my blog as a place to come and get my feelings out. When I first started this is was for nothing but the mere fact for me to be able to journal about this journey we are on. So family could follow up with us rather than me having to call them every time something new happened. I have blogged about the hardships of our family. It has been more than just a little rough. But I am so incredibly thankful for people that felt compelled to help us. It warms my heart to know that their are still people that believe in helping the fellow man/woman during hardships. That my friend is God. Without the gifts from strangers my kids wouldn't have had a Christmas. The trip to Disney blew us away. I have mentioned on my blog about how Richard has been wanting to do that with us. That is all I did. Next thing I know I am getting a phone call from a Travel Angel. I'm sorry if anyone looks at this as we are taking advantage of people. That is not my intention. Maybe I misunderstood but I thought this was MY blog and I could post about anything I wanted. Was I wrong?

Now for the most important subject matter... God. I do not use Him to make myself appear better. He my friend uses me and makes me a better person because of Him. He uses me.

I am thankful for this blog, the friendships I have made, the people I have met IRL.

If this is the only hatemail I get well I think I can handle it.

89 comments:

BethanyM said...

Kori:

How horrible! This marks the first time that my jaw has actually dropped while reading someone's blog. I just sat their open-mouthed and read.

I will pray for that person too--what a great response that the Holy Spirit prompted you to have!f

I will have more to say about this later but am too flabbergasted and irritated to say it well now.

Love and prayers,

Bethany

Brandy said...

That is just awful. AWFUL of someone to send you. I suppose they have the right to their opinion but if they don't believe you, and feel you are taking advantage of others then just click the "x" in the corner and move on. It's not for anyone else to judge.

I have not met you IRL but I feel like I know. And I have NEVER, not even for a second doubted anything you've said. Just as I hope no one would do to me...especially if I needed someone to be there for me.

It wasn't even my hatemail and I'm pretty pissed that someone would send this to you. If you want me to hunt them down and elbow slam 'em in the face I will. Promise.

Brandy said...

Okay I was so mad I missed a word or two (now that I've re-read it) just ignore my mistakes. Sorry about that!

Offer still stands though. Seriously.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Wow! I'm speechless and that takes A LOT!!!!

What a you know what....and to email you...I bet that wasn't anonymous either.

So, you are better than me...I would not have thought to pray for that person. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

Kori,

I have never once thought you were lying or taking advantage of anyone - it never even crossed my mind. And I think your faith in God is wonderful. I'm glad you put this on your blog....get it off your chest and then let it go. Its not worth it.

Anonymous said...

I just read Brandy's offer.....too funny...please think on it....I've got her back ;)

Me (aka Danielle) said...

I clicked over from the BSU...

I cannot believe that someone would think such things, let alone take the time to send them to you in an email. Although new to your blog, I can see that you are strong woman! God Bless You!

Lori said...

that is just disgusting. i do not have the words, but that I am sorry some wretched person would think those things

hang in there...love ya girl!

Lula! said...

I love that you are classy enough to feel that you have to clarify Richard's illness on your blog.

I love that God is so evidently working in your life even now, even amidst all this. Because only someone walking with Him would handle this kind of oppression in the manner in which you have here.

I love that Richard is a miracle.

I love that you are going to Disney.

I love that when I told Scott about Richard's CF and cancer, and then threw in his age, my husband-the-doctor replied, "Man--God is good." End of story.

Most of all, I just love you. God is awesome in you, Kori...I see Him all over this.

Anonymous said...

Clearly, if this person knew anything at all about CF, they would know that CF is just *now* becoming an adults disease, as well as a child's disease. And who are they to judge you, Richard, or the quality of his health by a freaking picture? I am absolutely appalled that someone would do this to you. I don't feel as if you are looking for a handout, just using the blog to vent, fill people in, and express your feelings. YOUR feelings.
This person doesn't deserve your prayers, but who are we to judge? Hang in there, and don't let this jerk get you down. Grrrrr.....

Becky W said...

I am so sorry you had to go through all this. keep your head up and keep doing what you are doing. We all love and pray daily fo you!

Grace said...

My heart hurts for you regarding this email. While there are those out there that can't believe some of the trials one can go through... we know they are real. What hurts is that you held this in for so long... I'm glad you brought it out... here... it helps with the healing, it helps those that find it important to judge (my gosh, who is ANYONE to judge another), and it surely helps others that have probably gotten their own version of hate mail. It warms my heart to see that you prayed for this person... it's an important part of the forgiveness process, isn't it? Hugs to you and your wonderful family.

Britt said...

What a jerk face .. Kori dear, you are lovely. I've never 'met' you, but my BS Radar is very sensitive, even online. And you only smell of flowers, hun.

I cannot stand people who feel the need to get all up in other peoples business and be ugly.

Personally, I think haters are what's causing global warming .. all that anger radiating off their heads. You are killing the ozone, people! Take a chill pill, for the sake of our children and our world, ya'll!

And Kori? You have a nice day =-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you reacted the way you did. I'm sure whoever sent that to you is a very cynical, bitter person. Some people are very jaded, and are on the look out for any imposters or posers. (Unfortunately, there probably are people sick enough to post fake blogs just for attention or handouts and prove the cynics right.)

I also feel sorry for whoever felt the need to "fact check" your story, and I'm glad you prayed for them rather than giving them the satisfaction of watching you blow up. Stay strong.

Momto5 RachelJoy Photography said...

oh my soul , I can not believe some one would send that to you. To be honest, they must really be hurting in order to try something so hurtful. You were right to pray! what an encouragement!

phew.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like someones a bitter Bestsy to ME! Go watch Bambi and listen carefully to Thumper!!!

But on a nicer note, this person is probably hurting in some way and I am sorry you feel the need to attack others, but leave our friend alone! Because you just don't know!

Kelsey said...

I'm shocked. I didn't know people could be such jerks. I mean I knew, but I didn't think that people really went and attacked people that they don't even know. That person really is cruel and you're a far bigger person than I am for praying for them! But you're right, we should pray for them.

I'm sorry you had to read something so awful. You're so sweet and you're feelings are real. Every time I read an update on Richard or how something incredible happens for you guys (like the Disney trip), you can see how much emotion is in your writing. You can't fake that.

Don't let this creep get to you. You are an amazing inspiration and I'm lucky to be able to read your blog!

krissy said...

I can see why I would get hatemail because I am a brat but this is so sad and so distubing. Distubing because I cannot help to think that this person is jealous of the attention you get. Sick and nasty.

Can I say this? I want to break this person's legs? Nasty, I know but I get crabby when people purposely try to hurt others by speculation. Stupid.

Pray on Sister and know that there are whole lot of us that love you and care for you. And we all know that none of that email is true. We know you are true and pure and sweet. That's all that matters.

WheresMyAngels said...

Kori,

It was bound to happen. There are some people out there whom are very hateful because they don't love themselves. Your right to pray for them. I have been shocked that I had not received any hate mail or comments on my blog yet. I expect it. I did on my You -tube account, I don't even have any video's on it but someone took the time out and found out I had kids with down syndrome and they left me a note telling me how worthless my kids were and how I should kill them. People can be cruel and sick.

You have all of us behind you and praying for your family. Don't let this person keep you down.

Much love and prayers always!

Dawn said...

The internet can be a wonderful tool, but it can also be used in a very negative way. People do lie...in person and on the internet. However, a person should never call someone out unless they have proof. The emailer was rude and hurtful, and I am so sorry you had to be on the receiving end of that. You will get no hatemail from me. I think you are great! You are a wonderful person to have prayed for the misguided person who sent that email. I fear they have been hurt in the past by dishonesty, and hopefully God will heal them.

Krissi said...

Please do not ever think for one minute that beacause one person sends you some hate mail that any of us think like that JERK! You are awesome!!!

Valerie said...

I cannot, for the life of me, understand what would have been behind that email, other than a whole bunch of hurt that obviously has nothing to do with you. Kudos to you for rising above that, replying with class and grace, and being real.

Gina said...

Wow.
That's really all I can think of to say...
Wow.
How awful.
How pathetic.
How ignorant.
How STUPID.
How.... AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!
Anywho!
I think you responded beautifully and we who matter know you are a genuine, beautiful person dealing with enormous pain and heartache in the most amazing of ways.
No explanation needed.
But thank you for sharing that- and helping get that off your chest.
We've got your back!!!!
xoxoxo!!

Ann Harrison said...

I'm sure you realize this Kori, but I'll share anyway. You were the outlet for someone who is really hurting.
I interpret this message to be from someone who has had, or still has, a lot of pain in their lives.
This is no excuse for their above and beyond rudeness. Absolutely not.
I'm just hoping to give some kind of ease. Mean words hurt. No matter what age we are. (Can you tell I've been talking to my girls about bullying in school? ;-> )
(((hug)))

2 Green Eyed Girls said...

All I will say is this: Walk one MILE, not a day, not an hour - ONE MILE in someone else's shoes before you decide that you know what their life is about. When you know all there is to know and can HANDLE it, you can still keep your opinion to your damn self. Guess I'm a little pissed that anyone would come at you, or anyone else like that.

As for the jerk that emailed you, SHAME ON YOU for deciding it was your place to pass judgement on this woman and her family.

Okay, I don't know about anyone else, but I sure feel better.

Hugs!

Linda said...

I've come to realize that no matter who you are, what you do, what you say, or what you blog about, there will be someone out there, somewhere, that feels they need to condemn and knock you down. It's a shame and it's sad. I'm incredibly sad for the person that felt they needed to send you that email. I know you could get hundreds of positive emails, but it's that one nasty one that you'll never forget. Don't let that person take away the truth that you know. You have plenty of loving, faithful followers on here ... those you know in person, and those that have never met you, like me, but are still blessed to call you "friend". Keep the faith Kori, we're here for you!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Kori I am so sorry that you have to deal with that on top of everything else.

As someone who has been burned in the past...I must admit to be rather cynical...and hesitant to trust someone.

But...to send an email like that is just unconscionable. If you are hesitant...click on the x and move on. Doubts do not equal guilt.

And Kori. Thank you for coming into my life. And for being my friend. Love ya bunches!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Girl you handled that beautifully and with class!

And just think of what a sad life that person is living to be filled with such loathing. God is there for them too, wish they could see that.

Hang in there! You're great!

Jennifer said...

Oh Kori--you don't need to explain yourself! I'm not clear on why someone would write such things to you?? I'm sorry it happened--but please don't let it bother you!!

MarciaBrady said...

OMG!! I so can't believe the nerve of this person! You know what though, you are handling it well!! Probably better than I would have.

Don't people realize that they shouldn't judge others, especially if they haven't walked a mile in your shoes!!

Doesn't this person realize that miracles happen every day? In health and in others helping people out in their time of need.

I'll be praying for you and this person as well!!

All I want to say, is way to go Kori!!

Megan said...

You shouldn't be punished for the kindness of strangers (the disney trip) and as I have CF myself, I know that it's hard on the family, so you clearly deserved a break like that. As for Richard, he should NEVER be critisised for living past the life expectancy or having cancer. In fact, he sounds like a pretty stong guy.
That person is clearly too bitter, and I can't believe someone is ignorant enough not to believe this blog, just based on a picture. Almost everything CF does is on the inside. Hope you're OK. Xx

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

You are such a good person to stop and pray for that person. You did not have to justify yourself in my opinion, they didn't deserve it, but I understand your need to set the record straight.
Wishing you the best!
xoxo

Julie said...

We love you Kori... and don't let that email bother you! Praise God Richard is still alive and you guys get to go through this journey together!!!

Kristin said...

GRRR...that makes me so mad. People need to do their research...I have heard of CFer's who reach 75 because they aren't as sick as most.

I am sorry that anyone would think to send you something like this. I hope and pray that you can forget this and move on!

Runner Girl said...

That was a perfect response. I wonder if wackweed will read it?

You are precious and on solid ground.

Jenn said...

People are retarded, you know? My friend Nathan passed away a week ago from CF (you can read my blog about it), so I'm with you about the effects of CF and can understand how much more intensely they affect everything else. I know the cough. The cough that rings in your ears and you wish you had some way to clear out for the ones you love. But God is good... and HE alone is faithful to sustain us! I'm praying for you and your family!!!!

PS I've been reading you through googlereader for a while, but I'm adding you to my main page... prayers and blessings to you!!!

whoopsadasie said...

That is just unbelievable! I don't know anything else to say other than what has already been said!
God bless you for your forgiving heart! You handled it so wonderfully! Keep the faith!

Tam said...

All the comments before me have said it all! I am sorry you recieved an email like that my friend! The amazing thing is the WAY you responded on this blog. I probably would have just deleted my blog and hide in my shell all heartbroken but YOU pulled up your big Girl Panties and went full speed ahead! Kuddos for YOU! Take care

LarryG said...

I perceive that person as having been hurt deeply on many levels and you did the right thing praying for them.
I will join you with a prayer for them myself.
And I continue to lift Richard and Kori and the boys up!

Brooks said...

oh my. just like whoopsadasie said, everything has already been said and I think that all we can do is pray for that person and block them from your email! You need no more negativity.

Funky Kim said...

People never cease to amaze me. The effort put into that email...

Anyway, I've been called a stalker in other places at other times. I will gladly become your stalker since you've mentioned you have an opening for that job. Heh.

Sweetly Single said...

I have been a long time stalker of your blog. You are the single most amazing and inspiring lady I have ever had the honor of reading.

I say boo to all of the bad vibe people and na-sayers. Reality and real life elude them.

It shows a true testament of your spirit to be able to pray for this person and wish them well

Michelle said...

Bravo.

There always had to be someone. And good for you for praying for that person. They need it really bad. We should all pray for that person too. To be able to feel the love you have felt.

God Bless you Kori and your family.

Elena said...

Yep, You're a rock star!! And who cares what they think. We all know the truth and the heart of the lady who owns this blog. Peace to you and to the nasty email writer.

Anonymous said...

Kari, that email was disturbing. I, like Richard, have CF and I will be 46yrs old this year. The person that wrote that email is obviously ignorant regarding this disease and how it presents itself. I also "look" healthy in a picture. Until you spend some time with a person with CF and then see what they go through to, A) look as "normal/healthy" as possible and B)what is involved with doing this, there is no way to understand this disease. I too have watched many people with CF die over the years and it does take a toll. I have been following your blog for a couple months and never posted a comment before but I felt I had to after reading this. I wish the best for you and your family.

Laura said...

So sorry you had to go through this, Kori. God is bigger than hate-mail. He is bigger than CF. He is bigger than WDW. And He lives inside of you. Blessings.

Kerry said...

Kori, You know I think many peoples perceptions of what disease should look like are off. I also realize that bitter people hurt others by their assumptions.
My thing is that this person needs to get a life and learn that so many people today are walking around alive due the advancement of medical techology.
The other thing that gets me is that no matter how hard you try. You can't change people not ones like that who have their minds made up.
CF with cancer on top of it. I can't imagine it.
I do know cancer being a survivor its scary even with that some would assume he looks good so...he is fine. Its been done to me as well. I just say, I'd rather have the disease of cancer then ignorance. Because at least my disease is treatable by enpowering myself to do so. When its not able to be..I am still way more healthy then someone who will choose to be ignorant and not understand the situation.
Cf and Cancer take there toll. No doubt about it.
As for your addressing this person..or it. You did a great job.But I sure as heck wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
You have enough on your plate..And Kori thanks for sharing your story.
I think the more of that do...the less uncomfortable others will be about diseases out there affecting so many of us.
Blessings to you and your family

BBB said...

Kori-Kins....

Dang it... it looks like the gig is up. We had it going good there for a while.. me with that whole "Struggling Single mom" thing and you with the "Husband with 2 Horrible Diseases" thing... but now they're onto us. We're just going to have to move on.

I'll send the Lear Jet to get you and meet you at the compound in Barbados, okay?

We'll just have to try harder next time....

Melissa said...

I would like to take this opportunity to thank this joker for sending that email.

Thank you for allowing Kori to share who she really is to the world. She is one of the most kind, honest, caring, self-sacrificing wife and mother I have ever known.

Whoever you are, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

It is rare to see a person actually thanks God for her trials. Kori does.

She doesn't try to take any credit for herself. She gives God the glory for the good and bad in her life. Her family is her life. Her Savior is her life.

The mere fact that she is able to take this assinine comment and use it to bring honor and glory to her Heavenly Father is testimony in and of itself.

So, to the person who wrote that email. Thank you. Thank you for prompting such an outpouring of who God really is. May God continue to increase in Kori, Richard, Jacob and Calob. As for this house, they will serve the Lord.

To the McCulley family: The blessing you have been to my family and me personally, is something I don't think I could even pen. Words cannot begin to express the love I feel for your family. March cannot come soon enough. I cannot wait to meet you IRL........

I love you, my sis in Christ. Stay strong......

Amy said...

That is awful for people to target you in that way and be so mean. I don't think you needed to explain anything, this person is the one with the real problems, not you.

God Bless You!

Melissa said...

Oh yeah, and when you and Lizzy head to Barbados, swing by my way and pick me up.

Lizzy, you are a gem and a half! You're an awesome friend and you crack me up.

Katey said...

That's awful. Who out of their right mind would send you something like that. Obviously they haven't done their research on CF!! Did they know that there are 1500 different CF gene mutations, and they all vary in severity of the disease??? There are plenty of CFers who are Richard's age. You are awesome Kori for praying for this person! Sorry you were the one that had to get the hate mail! We all know you are legite...especially us local people!! Love ya girl!!

Just me said...

Well, I don't comment here often, but this time I have to.

I met Kori on-line at cysticfibrosis.com. It is a support site for those dealing with CF. My son has CF. He is 18 now, and he wasn't diagnosed until he was 15 years old. CF takes many forms, and affects each patient differently.

There are members of our support site who are older than Richard. Thank the good Lord. And He is good! He has given us the strength to fight this horrible disease.

The very ignorance of the hate e-mailer is the reason so many children, like my son, go undiagnosed. Doctors thought he wasn't sick enough to have CF. Until God led us to a wonderful doctor who looked beyond the outer shell, and found CF.

Invisible illnesses like CF are so difficult to live with, because a huge number of patients don't look sick. I think the e-mailer should do a little research before making statements that only make him/her look ignorant.

Another thing. Many many many CF patients have lots of other illnesses and diseases to deal with as well. It is not unusual for a CFer to have cancer too. Yes, you would think CF is enough, but no, unfortunately it brings out the worst in other diseases such as diabetes, arthritis, and bone/spine disorders. My son has a spine disorder, and had to have an 8 hour surgery to correct it.

I hope this hate e-mailer learns from this, and I will say a prayer for that individual too, because he or she is a child of God too.

God bless Kori.

Stacey

~Ronda~ said...

First of all, hun, this is your blog, and you bloggy yourself happy with anything that you want. Don't worry about *dude* out there who took it the wrong way! I can only imagine that there are people out there that have nothing better to do than criticize others or make them feel bad about themselves. Well, you my dear, don't need to feel bad about anything because you haven't done anything wrong. So we'll all tell email dude/dudette to take a hike!!

Kori said...

I can only echo what everyone else has been saying. And feel sorry for this poor person, and tell you I think you are strong and amazing. It has never occurred to me to ever doubt anything you have said here, if that is any consolation.

scargosun said...

There are some serious crazies out there and I think that is just what you have. There are people out there looking for a fight to make themselves feel better. It's SO strange and SO not worth thinking about.

scargosun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aspiemom said...

Oh, Kori, I'm so sorry that you got that email and I'm also sorry that you felt you need to justify things. People like that don't need a response and your true friends wouldn't doubt you.

I'm 48 yrs old with CF and I'm overweight. Believe me, there are doubters about me having it, too. But I have the genetics test from Johns Hopkins if I need to prove it - which I wouldn't be inclined to, most likely.

Do you and Richard ever go to cf.com? They had an imposter on there and it really did a lot of harm. Made everyone doubt others and whether they were being duped. Maybe this person was one of those people.

There are a lot of ignorant people out there and it sounds like you heard from one of them. Like your life isn't rough enough without getting email like that!

Marrdy said...

Kori
I think sometimes people feel badly about themselves and have to take it out on someone else. I hope this is what you have encountered. I always hope there are not people around who are this inconsiderate. Too bad there are. Sorry you have to handle this on top on everything else. We love you, your family and friends love you and God loves you.

Winifred said...

Take no notice of them! People like this sadly have no goodness in them and think badly about themselves and everyone.

You have to feel sorry for them and it was very kind of you to pray for them.

Take care

Michelle said...

Okay, I couldn't even finish the email from *un-named mean person*.

Breath in / breath out. Just reminding myself to not blow a gasket.

What is wrong with people? Really. Doesn't the golden rule apply - even here on the web?
*If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.*
So sorry. I hope god continues to bless you and your family.

And may your hater choke on their dinner. (cannot help it, I am a bit testy these days).

Rachel Ann said...

Kori,

I'm so sorry that someone had to write that email; however, I read it as someone who is hurting and probably has no one to lean on...probably not even God. What an excellent opportunity for all of us to pray for that person even not knowing who it is!

God has used you and your family through this blog and will continue do so for longer than you can imagine. What some people see as taking advantage I see as God's provision, miracle and love for you!

You are AWESOME! God LOVES you, your husband and your boys! Way to go!

Rachel

"The Queen in Residence" said...

It makes a person wonder, did that nasty e-mail make them feel better? I am so sorry that you had to get that but so good for you to take it as yet another instance whre kindness, love and charity are needed. You are truly an amazing person.

I am so glad that things are alright with your tests. I did not want to say anything but I also had a scare like that and it is fibroid masses. I have to have a mamogrma and an unltrasound each year to check these and have done that since I was 27 as a just in case. So glad that you found out what it is and that there are things that can be done now to save your sanity.

I hope for you my bloggy friend peace in the coming weeks. We all know that you need and deserve it.♥

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

All I can say that hasn't been said is:
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall called the children of God.
You my dear are a peacemaker.
Bless you and your family.

Susie said...

There are still some people out there who don't realize that science has come a long way. If you think about it, a few short years ago, most people with cancer died well before their time. People are living longer with what once used to be a death sentence. That is why cancer is such a scary word, because that is what people remember. But I can name a number of people who have survived well beyond the life expectancy from cancer. God works miracles and I think some of those miracles are in the form of scientists who find cures and treatments that allow people to live longer. Richard is blessed. He has survived longer than the average CFer. That is just it, there are some who live longer, some who don't, that is why there is an average.

As for thinking you are making this up... I am just speechless. I feel sorry for whoever wrote you that email. They can't possibly understand what you are going through. They can't possibly understand that one more day adds up and pretty soon you have one more week or month to spend with the person whom you love the most. Until that person is in your shoes, they have no idea.

When we were on the main cancer journey road, I would like to know if people thought I was lying, cause if so, I have some really gross pictures of Ric right after his surgery if anyone wants to see them. :)

CFHusband said...

welcome to the club...hate mail, blog stalkers and all. You've responded well!

From experience, I encourage you to just delete any email that appears to be similar in the future. I wasted a lot of time responding to crappy emails and comments early on with my blog, and looking back, I can see how it really didn't accomplish much.

Oh, and let me know if I can ever beat up anyone for you.

Nate

iheartbowheads.blogspot.com said...

oh I am mad mad mad mad mad mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do people have to be mean? ARRRRGGGGHHHH - honey I am so sorry and I LOVE your blog and you don't worry about it and I am glad that you shared so we can all say - don't even lose one minute sleep over this foolish person!!!


Much much much bloggy love

:)

Holly

Denise Grover Swank said...

I hardly "know" you. I found you through Lula and Brandy. So I haven't read a lot of your posts. But I never once, not even for a second, thought to myself "Wow! This woman is scamming." I saw your husband's age and thought "They are so lucky he has lived this long!" and I saw that he has colon cancer and thought "Oh no-- not that too!" And then your own scare and I prayed to God "Please, please, spare this precious family from this too." But I never thought you were being anything but sincere. Honest.

I have never gotten hate mail before, well except from my deceased husband's family, but I think when you are so completely open and honest about who you are that it's bound to come. People don't believe that you can be open, it has to be made up. But I decided I've had a lot of life experiences and that people could learn from my mistakes and from my conquests. And I show people that they aren't "the only ones" that there is someone out there kind of like them. I never claim to be perfect and often post about my imperfections. Someday someone's going to slam me for it. I hope I have the same grace you have shown when it happens to me.

xoxoxoxo
Denise
http://theresalwaysroomforonemore.com

Denyse said...

You poor dear! Its one thing to have an opinion (even if its wrong) but to "share" it in such a hateful way as that is just plain MEAN! I cannot imagine what that person thought they could possibly have gained by saying those things.
I loved the part you said about its not you using Him, but God using you. Amen.
You have been in my prayers these past few weeks as you've been waiting to hear test results. I'm so glad they were favorable, but most importantly, I'm so blessed to "hear" the peace you've come to.

KimmyJ said...

You handled that like the champ you are! Don't waste another second thinking about that utter trash.

Tracy said...

Oh Kori I hate you got such an email.
This world has some rude, crude people in it doesn't it.
Apparently this person knows nothing about CF ! Also to say you would make up something like cancer is just awful ....
For this person who wrote that rude email I know Kori, and yes I have met her personally and there is no way she is taking advantage of anyone or playing with anyone's emotions.
Oh yeah, while I'm at it....I have people from our hometown hear about my child with CF and say I didn't know she had CF, you would have never known by looking at her. I am here to tell you, you look at all this child has to go through, you take a look at xrays of her little lungs. My child even went through a surgery of having part of a lung removed, So there again, for those people who think she looks fine and everything ... you have no idea.
Same for Richard, he has been blessed with the years he has, and he may look fine but you have no idea what he's had to go through to get through all those years...

Mariah said...

People are morons- sorry you had to deal with this horrible email. I get hate mail too and it stinks

Emily said...

Kori,
I would like to truthfully say what I feel towards that JACKASS that sent you that email, but there is not enough room for the explitives I would have to say. SO, I just want you to know from the bottom of my heart that your blog has NEVER, EVER seemed fake, false or anything like that.
Us fellow human beings, know that you and Richard and the kids are struggling with these two horrible diseases and for someone to have the balls to write to you and say you are asking for a handout. I am glad you prayed for them! You are a good person. The fact that you stopped and prayed for a mean person speaks VOLUMES of you and your character.
You are real, Richard is real, everything single thing about you all is real. I am kind of dumbfounded that anyone would do that sort of thing.
You are a spiritually beautiful person and have handled the most unbearable situation with strength and love that I cannot even comprehend.
For someone to try and challenge that, that is just plain mean and so illinformed.
I am glad you prayed.
I pity them for making you feel that you had to explain anything.
Those of us that follow your blog regularly know the real you and your very real pain and struggle.
I have caught a lot of flack from my blog because I am VERY honest when I write and you are too.
That is what I think makes you incredible, is to be as honest as you are about everything.
We support you and lift you up in prayer every day. You would do the same for anyone else.
All good Kori.
Sorry for swearing.
Love,
Emily

Sheyb said...

That is absolutely horrible that someone would say something like that! Ugh! That person needs some prayer. Terrible terrible thing to do and what horrible things she/he said!

Michele said...

Oh Kori ~ what a horrible thing to say about you and your family. I never once thought you were taking advantage of anyone...and to say that Richard looks healthy..ya, he may look good, but feeling it is something totally different. This person needs some prayer to help them.

Hugz,
Michele

Jenni said...

That is awful Kori...people are unbelievable!

Heather said...

Man, I was kinda hopin' that the emailer would've had the balls to post a comment so we could all pay him/her a little visit...

No dice, huh?

That's a shame. 'Cause when you pick on a blogger friend of ours like Kori, you have no idea what you're doing.

Kori, you handled yourself with "amazing grace", and I hope to be like you when I grow up :)

Love you, girl. So glad of the good news you received this week. And don't you DARE feel guilty when you're in Disney. We all know you didn't ask for it; it was a gift, meant for you and your whole family, not out of feeling sorry for you, but clearly out of love. Don't let this person have that much power over you, okay?

jori-o said...

Just stopping in to check on you---SO glad you got good news from the nurse. SO GLAD.

And it is UNBELIEVABLE that someone would write that to you. Obviously someone is in a lot of pain and took it out on you...you ARE very classy to have handled it the way you did.

I'm still shaking my head, though, at some people's audacity. Grr.

Tiffany said...

Kori,

I read your blog often yet post rarely. But I must say that you are a CLASS ACT and I know that I could not have handled this situation with the tact that you just did.
Yes, it is YOUR BLOG and THAT person needs to GET A LIFE!

Somer Love said...

Sorry you had to even read that! Seriously people have some nerve!! It's hard not to feel bad for those people that have nothing better to do then say and write malicious things. So you did the right thing all you can do is pray for them :)

I hope you are having a great weekend!

Debbie said...

In no way shape or form do you come off as illegitimate. Richard looks great and has lived a long time because he has the Lord in his life and HE has a plan for Richard that we cannot comprehend on earth. You didn't deserve any of that hate...not one bit. It is totally satan interfering with the Lord's plan for your life and your amazing witness to all of us. YOu keep rocking it Kori.

Truth said...

That is unbelievable. I can't figure out why someone would bother to take the time to write an email if they truly thought the CF and all was fake. Why not just move along if you think it is all made up?

Of course that isn't the only issue, but wow. Still hard to believe.

My daughter has been dating a young man for over a year. They are in high school. David is on the Varsity football & the Varstiy basketball team. He is a pretty good sized guy, healthy, outgoing, athletic...and yes, he has CF. And we are thrilled he is so "healthy & good-looking."

Eve said...

It sounds like a letter from someone who is hurting. Maybe they've recently lost a loved one and are wondering why God didn't grant them a few extra years, or a couple of handsome children, or a few friends to cry and pray with them when things got tough.

Still, there's no reason good enough to send anyone such cruel words. I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through that, on top of everything else. You have handled it so well. And YES, this is your blog and you get to post about whatever you want (yay)!

jennifersusan said...

technically you've got 117 stalkers. :) I'm so sorry that you've gotten such a terrible email, and I think you absolutely rock for praying for anyone who would share that person's views of you. You're awesome!

Valerie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valerie said...

What an idiot is all I can think of to say. I don't understand if someone's blog upsets you why in the world would you continue reading it? It is your blog and you can write about whatever you want. If you want to ask for help well that is your business. All I've seen you ask for is prayers. I better stop I'll end up writing a book.

Tell her to go suck a lemon!

Valerie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalia said...

Dear Kori

I'm so sorry--that is awful.

Not that it's really any help, but there are some people out there with a screw loose. They just go around anywhere spewing bile. It's the blog equivalent of a hacker or vandal or worse. You can tell by the writing they are not all there.

It's hard not to take it personally. I'm so sorry.

Also, Kori, thank you for coming to my blog. You are so sweet! I'm sorry I haven't been around more. I'm off to read your blog backwards now.

Hugs
Natalia

Elisa said...

That stinks about the hate mail. The first time I got one, it completely took my breath away.

Now I just print them out and run over it with my cool mini van. It makes me feel WAY better. Try it. You'll like it.


I like your blog... I'll be back!