Saturday, January 24, 2009

Raising Awareness

As many of you know that have been around my place here, my husband Richard is 46 years old and suffers from Cystic Fibrosis. He is one of the oldest CF patients in the State of Alabama. He has lived well past the life expectancy of 37. We want everyone that suffers from CF to live a long and full life. And the only way to do that is to Raise Awareness, get the word out and donate to Cystic Fibrosis research so that maybe one day soon there will be a cure.

I wanted to introduce you to a few of my fellow Blog and IRL friends that are also battling Cystic Fibrosis. I want you my readers to be AWARE of this deadly disease that affects approximately
30,000 Americans and the 1,000 new cases that are diagnosed every year. It's time for a change. It's time for a Cure!

Now let's get on with the introductions.

  • First off there is Katey. She is wonderful. I know Katey personally and her steadfast Faith and relationship with God are more than inspiring to me. Katey had a Living Donor Double Lung Transplant at age 18. She truly is a amazing.

  • Then there is Nate and his super awesome wife Tricia. Tricia's strength to overcome all the hurdles of the past year will leave your face wet with tears and in awe of a God that surpasses all understanding. But sweet Gwyneth Rose will melt your heart and you will fall more in love with this wonderful family.

  • Now for the absolutely sweetest little girl. Reilly. She is 5 and full of spunk and fight. Her Mom Cindy is wonderful and chronicles their journey down this very long path of unknowns. Right now we are all awaiting a possible surprise. I sure wish Cindy would spill the beans already. hint hint Cindy

  • Tracy is another one of my IRL friends. Her daughter Molly is quite possibly the most polite 12 year old I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I got to have lunch with Molly and Tracy the other day while Molly was in the hospital for 14 days of treatment. Man that Chinese food was good. huh girls? Can't wait for us to be able to get together again soon outside of the confines of the Hospital.

  • At last but certainly not least would have to be the most handsomest little fella ever. Phoenix. Oh he is such a cutie pie. I just want to hug him and love on him. Oh those cheeks. And that smile, gets me every time. Phoenix is almost 9 months old. But everyday for this little handsome fella has been a fight. The whole family is just precious and we celebrate every milestone with them no matter how big or small.

  • Now just this morning I stumbled onto Marcus' blog. He doesn't have CF. However he is a Respiratory Therapy student. And let me just say that you make some long lasting friendships with RT's when you're a CF patient. As part of his last semester he has to do some kind of community project. He has decided to do the Great Strides walk held by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. He has put together his own team and has set a goal of $1500. Go check him out cause he's also holding some contests for extra incentive. And I know how ya'll like some Give-A-Ways.

Now these are just a handful of the ones I read daily. There are so many more ya'll. So many more.

I hope that you will visit my friends I have listed and leave them some bloggy love. Let them know I sent you over.

21 comments:

Krissi said...

I will visit them for sure, and will continue to pray for a cure as well. Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend!

Winifred said...

Thanks for this Kori,I'll visit them too.

Take care

Winifred

Devri said...

i will visit them soon, take care.

Tracy said...

Great post! Thanks for helping to bring awareness to the horrible disease.

Young Momma said...

I will visit - too. I think it's amazing. The way that you are all there for each other. IRL or in bloggy land. I think it's important for these young kids to see your hubs and see that they can do it too. God Bless you guys!

Anonymous said...

Kori, you are just the greatest. Thank you for sharing a link to our blog, and for your kind words. As you know, awareness is the key to our fight.

Thanks!!!

P.S. I just spilled the beans about my little surprise! :o)

Rebecca Jo said...

Found you through Blog stalkers Unite.... will definitely be back... will be praying for your family....

Anonymous said...

(((Hugs)))
How awesome of you to raise awareness on this subject! Good for you!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Thanks for raising awareness and passing them on to us.

Prayers for them all.

Natalia said...

Thanks for sharing these great links.

I also wrote below under an old post but I don't expect you to keep checking all your posts so I'll write here too....Kori, thank you for coming to my blog and for your sweet comments. You are so sweet! I'm sorry I haven't been around more. I'm so scattered lately!

I was looking for your link to Richard's blog but couldn't find it. Am I totally losing it?

Love
Natalia

WheresMyAngels said...

I hadn't been to Nates blog for awhile and wow, has his daughter grown.

That "surprise" puppy was the cutest puppy I have ever seen!

Marcus said...

Thank you for the kind words and giving me some new blogs to visit.

Susie said...

Nice new blog look! Love it!

Christy said...

I love love love your new layout! SO cute, and those pictures at the top are absolutely GREAT!!!!

Rhea said...

I'm glad you're sharing.

Beautiful new header! Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL! I love all the colors on your sidebars and everywhere also.

Thank you for helping keep us updated about Kat. I really, really appreciate it.

Heather said...

Amazing how this disease can affect so many lives, in big ways and in small.

When I was in nursing school, I was only 19 years old when I did my rotation through Children's Hospital. I was on the adolescent unit, and my first patient was a girl named Liza. She had CF, and had been in the hospital on and off since the age of 8. I became friends with Liza; my instructor would leave her a note every time she was back in the hospital, so I could drop by and see her. This girl was only two years younger than me, but she had lived a lifetime in those 17 years. It was an honor getting to know her and be a witness to her strength and unwavering faith in God. It has been almost 15 years since Liza lost her battle with CF, and yet I can remember her like it was yesterday.

Richard is a living testimony to the strength it takes to fight against CF. We are so blessed that you allow us this peek into your lives, Kori. Thank you.

Katey said...

Thank you! You are too sweet!! Oh..BTW: I love the look of your blog now..awesome! And I'm praying for Kat's husband and family! Love ya girl!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for highlighting these....I will definitely check them out tomorrow after a good night's sleep!

Somer Love said...

Loved this post! Love the new layout too!

Truth said...

Thank-you for sharing the links. I have a sneaky suspicion my daughter is going to marry her sweetie who also has CF.

We were talking last night. She said, "what if David and I had 8 kids and all of them had CF?" It was a great time talking about lots of things that might come up in their relationship. (They already know that if they do get married and want to have children that it will take help.)

Thanks for sharing your lives and being so open.

Michelle said...

Thank you for your blog and creating awareness. My BFF's mom had CF and died when my BFF was 15. I wish the best to you, your husband, and your family.