Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Real Me

Sometimes I feel very overwhelmed. I am so glad that this, my blog, is a place I can come and let it all out. Cause I tell ya there is never a dull moment.

Here is a compilation of all our latest happenings.

Our oldest Jacob loves Church. Not just because his friends are there but because he loves Christ. For an eleven year old boy he his wise beyond his years. But yesterday his love for Church took a turn.

When Jacob arrived at Church yesterday evening he was going upstairs to where the youth meets when suddenly a boy that we will call N. pulled him into a room and held Jacob with his arms behind his back. N then called to the other boy B and B came over and proceeded to punch Jacob in the stomach several times knocking the wind out of him. All the while B's girlfriend is telling them to let him go and leave him alone. These boys are in 9th grade and twice the size of Jacob at 4'10" and 68 pounds. Jacob went to tell the Teacher and they brought him home. He was crying and really shaken up about the whole experience. He was scared. He didn't say or do anything to these 2 boys and they just felt the need to beat him up.

Jacob's spirit is broken. He doesn't know if he wants to go back and I can't say that I blame him. If you aren't safe at Church then where are you safe? The boys parents were made aware of the situation. I really pray that they didn't take this lightly and that these boys suffered some serious consequences.

I know way to much about injuries caused by simple mistakes and accidents because of where I work. They could have seriously hurt him just because they made poor decisions.

Anyhow after all this. Somehow Richard hurt his wrist. After me asking him for a couple of hours if he needed to go get it looked at. He finally decides that Yes, Yes he does at 10:50 at night. So I call Kimberlee and she comes to our rescue and stays the night just in case the boys were to get up out of bed or something.

Off we go to... you guessed it the E.R.

Thankfully we went to the smaller hospital and were in and out in less than 30 minutes. The Doctor didn't even do an x-ray which I thought was odd. But Richard was in so much pain he thought he was going to throw up. (he didn't thankfully) The Doctor said he felt like it was just a really bad case of tendinitis. Richards fingers and wrist are all swollen. They put it in a splint thing to stabilize it and gave him a prescription for pain meds. If it's not better by tomorrow he is supposed to call the Orthopedist. Great another Doctor to keep up with.

It is still swollen and hurting him but not as bad as last night. Thank goodness.

Things with me are changing at work for the better. I am taking on a new position with new responsibilities which I am excited about. So that's a good thing.

Richard's rash is clearing up nicely and he's been feeling pretty good the past couple of days. He's even talking about trying to go to Church this Sunday. So I know he has really got to be feeling some better. Finally a silver lining.

I still don't know what his thoughts are on doing this last resort Chemo. We have kind of talked about it. And we both agree that the Doctor wasn't near as adamant as he has been in the past about encouraging Richard to do treatments. We understand that we are closer to the end of this journey with or without the treatment. God is still Good all the time... all the time.

I am still really concerned about Christmas and have been thinking about taking on a second job just to get us through. But if I do that I will rarely be at home at all. I already work a full 40 hours a week and then with a second job working part time during the week and on the weekends. Things could get a little crazy. Then in turn I will be missing more of the time I have to spend with Richard and the boys. Richard doesn't want me to do it. But I really don't know what else to do.

I really appreciate every ones advice on ways to cut back some. But at this rate there isn't much extra left to shop with after I pay all the bills and get Richard's meds since our Flexible spending has run out until the new year starts in January.

Ugh sometimes I just really wanna scream. But it is in those times that I look around and realize that I have so much to be thankful for. And that regardless if I take notice or not God continues to bless us with everyday he allows us to be together.

I know this post is all over the place but I had to get it all out there.



Thank you guys for accepting and letting me be... The real me.




46 comments:

Jane In The Jungle said...

Kori, I am so so sorry that happened to Jacob. I so hope those parents really do something to have thier boys make ammends for what they did. And I'm sure Jacob has alot of friends at church that can help him get through this.
I'm glad you are better at work but so sorry about this tough time of yr. Check with some agencies, church anyone that is willing to give a helping hand. And speaking of hands, hope Richards wrist heals pain-free soon!
Prayers are with all of you!

Devri said...

I like the real you, don't know you but I am easy to please and I think you are one cool chick!!

Yes, it's ok run...

Debbie said...

If I click on that song which I am assuming is Natalie Grant's song The REal Me I am going to start bawling. I love that song. I am so sorry for what happened at church. That isn't right. I pray that your son will see that the Lord will keep him strong even against bullies. I will continue to pray for you my sweet friend.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry thing have been so hard for you. I hope that it starts looking better soon and I am praying for you!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I have tears in my eyes over what happened to Jacob. It's wrong on every level, it shouldn't have happened to any child of any age but kids that much older, beating up a child so young? I am sick to my stomach. I hope he recovers quickly from the whole ordeal.
I'm sorry that Richard hurt his wrist also, hope it heals quickly.
xoxo

Kristin said...

Kori: I wish I could take all of the hurt away. I hate that bad things continue to happen in your family. Bullies break my heart and it breaks my heart that your "little boy" had to receive their cruelty. I am praying Kori! Praying that God will give you continued wisdom and uphold you with his sustaining grace!

Ronda's Rants said...

I am sorry...Try to get Jacob to talk about it as much as possible. So...this becomes something that happened and not a secret that he is ashamed of. Praise him about how well he did and finally encourage him to go back otherwise this could be a defining moment and you don't want that for him!
I have no idea why those boys would do that...that is a very big age difference...normally they pretend like 11 year olds are invisable!
I am sorry!

Caroline said...

I've hear so much about you from Lula, Lizzy, and the likes, so I decided to check you out. I see your face everywhere!

I am so so sorry about what happened to your son. That is beyond cruel and unacceptable. I just pray that he can understand that was not God that did that to him, but rather the result of some sinful (and very mean-spirited) choices.

As with anything painful that happens to us, we can allow God to work healing in our lives and move us out beyond our hurt so that one day we can look back and see that he's brought us out so far.

My prayers are with you sister.

Anonymous said...

Poor Jacob!!! What the heck?? Who are these scroundrels??? Do I care if they are underage? NO. Im gonna just give them a little taste of their own medicine, I promise. OK not really, but I wouldn't mind scaring the living daylights outta them. Just a little!

I have bad wrist problems too...i have the same thing as richard..and it hurts like crazy! I bought a little wrist guard type thing and wear it when it acts up...its all i can usually.

And Kori, you are amazing :) Im so glad I know you!

Gina said...

Good grief that's just unacceptable!! I think I'd be tempted to press charges- those big boys are big enough to know better and a little community service might be just the thing...!!! grrrrrrr!!!!

I am sorry you are so stressed about Christmas, and I know you really want your boys to have a good Christmas with things they want... but in the big picture I think what they NEED is their family together as much as possible. In 10 years they won't remember the presents- they'll remember their family time. Maybe something to consider is to give them I.O.U.'s for Christmas and slowly buy them the things you want to give them after Christmas as you can afford it. They'll have the anticipation of it coming their way...!

Kathleen @ Measuring My Life said...

I'm really sorry to hear what happened to Jacob.

Side note: I have emailed you three times since our last correspondance about the Christmas swap, again just this morning, if you are replying I'm not getting them, please leave me a comment on my blog that you replied so I know and we can hopefully get this cleared up. Thank you.

I hope you have a great Friday!

Tam said...

That breaks my Heart for your sweet little Jacob! I hate it for him so so so much. I will keep him in my thoughts!!!

Ah Christmas...that is tough but I still beleive in Miracles...so put your faith there! YOU never know!

take care!

Brandy said...

Poor kid. That's got to be hard to deal with. It might make him feel better to talk with the pastor. Personally I think the pastor should step in and discipline the boys that did this.

As for the part time job...don't do it. It is and will always be more important to spend time with your family. Don't be afraid or ashamed to ask for help.

And remember it's just one day. (Sometimes I should take my own advice.)

Jennifer said...

OMG Kori--poor Jacob!! Those idiots--I just don't understand people sometimes!! I hope he's ok physically and emotionally from that ordeal.

I'm sorry about Richard's wrist too--but I'm glad his rash seems better!

Hang in there and try not to worry about Christmas--I find that my kids love the "little things" like baking cookies and making Chex mix. I'm sure you will make it nice for them!!

Kathleen @ Measuring My Life said...

I haven't recieved them yet. I'll give it until this afternoon, I have been having some difficulties recieving people's emails for some reason. I'll keep you posted, thanks for getting back to me. :o)

United Studies said...

Oh my gosh! That happened at church?!?!

I won't tell you what to do concerning the job, I will only pray that you make the best decision for you and your family!

scargosun said...

I am so sorry about Jacob. That seems so odd. Why would bullies be at church? I understand his fear and you probably don't want anymore advice but here it goes. Tell him that the church is really made up of people and faith, not a building. Something bad happened in the building but the people and the faith are still the same and will be ready to welcome you back when you are ready.

Sorry. it just kinda of came to me when I read your post.

Betty said...

Kori, we are with you. We hear you and we are there for you! I will be praying for you and your family, and that Jacob find´s the joy for church again too!

Denyse said...

What a terrible thing to happen to Jacob. I'd definitely pursue the issue with the youth minister or pastor and their parents. Those boys need to know that they are fortunate you're not taking legal action! Because you could.
As for Christmas, I vote for either no gifts or maybe everyone makes homemade gifts. Your time together as a family is the most precious gift you have right now. Make some memories that will be cherished long after the batteries are dead and the toys are broken. I'm praying that God will work in such a way for you all that this is one of the BEST Christmases ever.
P.S. My vote may not count any more with you than it did in the last election, but I couldn't resist. I'm just nosy that way=)

Kori said...

I haven't been there with the health issues, but I HAVE been there with the financial ones, and the only thing I can say is continue to pray and have faith. Which you do. It is so hard to just trust sometimes, but I do believe with all of my heart that if we take care of those things that are important, God will provide what we need. If at all possible, please try to hold off on getting a second job in order to get through the holidays; I really and truly believe that it i going to be okay, that you are going to be blessed beyond anything imaginable.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Sigh. I cannot believe those guys beating up on Jacob. Makes you want to press charges. Or find a baseball bat ;-)

As for Christmas...ugh. I don't know what to suggest. I like the iou suggestion. But I think that spending time together has to be a precious gift...

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Kori! I know I have a lot of growing up to do because if someone had done that to my child I think I would have gone all ape&*^* on them!!! And their parents. How horrible! I hope Jacob is okay!!!! Physically and emotionally. I don't buy that whole "boys will be boys" or "they are just kids"....I mean seriously....who in their right mind thinks that behavior is okay?

I hope Richard's wrist is feeling better soon!!!

Congrats on your new position at work...that's great!

Yeah, I really really hope you don't have to take a 2nd job. I mean your time with your famiy right now is what is most important. I hope you don't think I'm trying to tell you what to do....I'm definitely not....regrets are hard to live with though...I know that from experience. Will the boys understand if Christmas is thin this year? I mean...its not solely about the presents...I know they are kids...but I'm sure they would rather have you around than at another job so they could have presents. Here's a thought....make those parents of the awful kids buy stuff for Jacob....geez..they owe him something!!!

Love you....things will work out...God always makes a way!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I can't BELIEVE something like that happened at church. I sure hope that it doesn't kill Jacob's faith and only makes it stronger.

I hope Richard's wrist heals and I'm glad that the rash is clearing up.

About Christmas...what about a homemade Christmas? Seriously, use all of your gifts this year. I think the boys will understand more than you think. Get them involved in it to (meaning they have to make gifts as well). Maybe I'll look for some ideas for you guys, but have faith that it will work out!

Love ya, Kori!

Lula! said...

You have to know that this song is the soundtrack of my life. I sing it daily. "Will this glass house break?" Brilliant.

I am praying for you. Praying hard, my friend. And I love you!

BBB said...

I'm STILL angry about that happened to Jacob. I very badly want to beat those two kids' heads together. And the adults who were supposed to be watching them.

I'm sorry about Richard's wrist. I have to be honest though.. I did... giggle.. a little... at the thought of your going to the ER... again.

Regarding the 2nd job. Some people are telling you what to do, some people aren't. I have my leanings but my advice is to pray about it... pray for direction.

krissy said...

Ugg..I guess I only hope that the bullies parents find out about this and properly take care of the situation. Poor Jacob. To be scared to go to church because of inproper behavior from boys that are old enough to know better.

I cannot express how much I wish you peace. Not only are you dealing with personal struggles with your husband but you must also deal with real life that usually puts me in a whirlwind of mayhem. Peace would be nice for you.

Hang in there sweetheart. Power of prayer.

krissy said...

P.S.
My sister in law found simple jobs that didn't take any time from Craig's list in her area. Maybe there is something like that for you too. She made like $250 extra dollars for passing out flyers. This may help or not but I agree with praying about it. And the idea about home-made gifts is brilliant.

Valerie said...

That's awful about what happened at church to Jacob. I'm going to be remembering him in my prayers. I have been through an illness and had to stop working for 5 years. There were times I didn't know how we were going to make it. But God was in charge. In 2006 my husband was diagnosed with Kidney cancer and was out of work for a couple of months. Again I was panicked, couldn't sleep but God got us through. I will be praying for you.

Linda said...

Well it breaks my heart that your sweet boy had something like this happen to him. Make sure he talks about it, a lot, so it doesn't end up being something that festers in him. I will pray he can overcome his fears and I'll pray for the boys that did this, they need their eyes opened.

I know you're trying to keep everything as normal as possible for your kids this Christmas. I will also pray that it's not too stressful for you and that you will all make some wonderful memories. I wish I had some great words of advice or could offer assistance of some kind. Just know that I care and pray for you.

Rhea said...

I can't believe Jacob was attacked like that. That makes me furious. And so sad for him. And at Church! That's just wrong.

I'm feeling for you during this rough time...with the holidays approaching and money being tight and Richard's status up in the air. I'm glad you can vent and be the real you. We're here, we hear you, and we care. Hang in there. God provides in mysterious ways.

If you want to email me your address, I will let my boys pick out a gift for your boys to send. Like a penpal Christmas gift. It would be good for my boys to think of others during the holidays.

Melissa said...

Okay, first let me say, I love Natalie Grant. She gets me.

Second, I'm so sorry about Jacob. You didn't say a word about it on the phone. Girl, I'm calling tonight and you just need to spill it. Vent away. That's what I'm here for.

I will pray for that situation and for Richard and for you. It does seem overwhelming. I just have the normal everyday stuff and I feel like I'm never gonna get through it. You are strong, but God is stronger. His strength is made perfect in our weakness. I'm so relieved, cuz I'm really weak most days. Love you Kori...:) Hang in there. You have a lot of saints bring you before the throne.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

I'm speechless about what happened to your son. I am so sorry.
The other thing I want you to know is, my heart loves your heart. The real you is so wonderful. I'm about in tears as I read all of your postings in the last few days that I've missed.
Hang in there.
I'm keeping your family in my prayers.

Shannon said...

I love that you feel your blog is a place you can be real. "Cause the real you is my hero. You've no idea how your strength amazes me...

I've not heard that song or of Natalie Grant before... it's so pretty! And the words... oh my.


I'm sorry that had to happen to Jacob. Poor guy... I hope he's ok. And yes, those boys need some serious punishment for their cruelty.

Glad to hear Richard's wrist is better... and his rash, too!

@ said...

Kori- I'm sorry about the rough time (to put it mildly) that y'all are having. Please check your pm's at cf.com ;) .

Andee

WheresMyAngels said...

Oh Kori, so much going on.

On the second job, don't do it. Your'll regret it later, you need this time with your family. I have a problem with overworking and really, I can keep working insane hours but it doesn't make the money issues go away, so there is no reason I should keep doing it. I regret working and not spending the time with my family and I know you need to be more at home then I do right now.

That is horrible about Jacob. Makes me so sad. I had bad experiences growing up in church because I was shy (yes, hard to believe I ever was). I remember another girls calling me the "B" word in front of my Sunday school class. What she mistook as me being snobby was me being shy. Does he have other friends in church? Do you know the parents of the kids that hurt him?

You know I am praying for you all and will continue to do so.

Aubrey said...

Oh Kori! I'm sorry things have been overwhelming for you lately!
That makes me so angry that those boys would do that to Jacob and at church of ALL places.
I say scream when you need to scream. And we'll always be here to listen!

BTW, I read your post about the Summers family. I'm just devastated. I've been over to her blog many times, reading her stories and it's just so sad.
You will all be in my prayers!

Tiffany said...

Girl, I cannot believe that happened to your boy.

Please tell me their parents were called and consequences were enforced.

The church needs to supervise the children in their care, even if they are 14, as obviously, these boys can't handle it. I am just sick over it.

Don't take the job. Gifts are not what Christmas is about and I know your boys know that.

We aren't doing gifts this year. We are taking a family vacation instead and spending time together.

Let me know if you'll let me help....

Louisa Claire said...

Kori, like everyone else I am so sorry for what happened to Jacob. I hope you can find a way to address the issue so he can learn both to forgive and that there are consequences for actions. Church needs to be a safe place and the leaders and elders should know that it hasn't been that for your son. I know you are so overwhlemed with everything at the minute? Have you got a trusted friend from church who could help you address the issue? I hope you don't mind me contributing my 2cents about work - I know it totally sucks to have no or few or less grand presents for your kids but they need you and Richard more than they need gifts. In years to come they will look back at this precious time you had as a family and if you are working an extra job just to buy gifts...I guess I am just saying gifts won't matter in the long run but your family time together will. I am so sorry you are in this situation and am praying for a miracle!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for that video/song. Amazing. I'm copying it (don't worry-I'll post back to you!)

I am so so sorry about what happened to your son. How awful. I feel so bad for him. That is just so sad :( :( :(

Anonymous said...

Thank you ;)

Christy said...

Kori I am so sorry that this happened. I don't have any advice or any help, but I hope things get better and I hope Jacob gets past this as quickly as possible. Thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

I'm really shocked that your son was attacked at church! What on earth?!? I hope the parents/youth pastor/elders or someone figures out what those kids were thinking and make sure that never happens again.

It's 10 pm on a Sat. night, and I'm saying a quick prayer that your family makes it to church together tomorrow morning. :)

Jen said...

I am so sorry that happened to your son! I pray that he finds the joy of church again!
Prayers for you and your family!

Susie said...

Those bullies! I hope that those parents get a talking to as well. I hope that Jacob goes back to the church. He needs to let them know he is not afraid. I don't understand how people who are supposed to be Christians can do this to others. Let him know he has us behind him.

Tendonitis can be very painful. Hopefully Richard is on the mend.

I'm sending you some hugs! It sounds like it has been an emotional weekend.

MarciaBrady said...

Hi Kori. You don't know me. But, I was one of the girls going back and forth with you and Amy on Finding Normal's Monday Madness and I thought I'd check out your blog.

Sorry to hear about those boys hurting your son!! It makes me angry and I don't even know you or your family. But, whenever something happens that I don't understand, I just remember that God will use what was meant for evil and turn it into good. Those boys obviously need to be in church more!!

As far as getting another job, I don't know the full circumstances in your life, but if it is the end of the road, I know I'd want to spend as much time as I have with my loved ones. If you like crafts, you could declare that this year you all will make presents for each other instead of buying them. I know it's not real popular these days, but I love that idea.

Well, I'll be praying for you and your family!

MarciaBrady said...

Here's a website that has ideas for Christmas gifts:

http://www.betterbudgeting.com/articles/money/63giftsunder10dollars.htm

Also, sometimes what I will do when I'm running short on money is find things to sell on Ebay. Things that sell well are exercise videos or those exercise videos/equip from tv infomercials. Also, I was surprised by this, but Harlequin Romance novels sell well too! Children's clothing, Bath & Body works, Mary Kay sell well too!

Hope this helps!