Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday Silence

The boys have left for Church and Richard is still asleep. It is way too quiet here. But it's nice. There are seldom moments when I have the house to myself, with the exception of getting ready for work at 5:30 in the morning during the week.

Jacob is doing much better. The rash from the shingles has dried up and is almost gone. He is still having a little discomfort but not much. He will be going back to School tomorrow.

Richard is feeling about the same. Just kind of run down and puny. The new steroid lotion that the Doctor prescribed seems to be helping a little with the rash.

Found out the other day that Calob hasn't been doing his classwork at School. When we asked him about it he said he just doesn't want to do it. Not because he doesn't know how or because it's hard, oh no just because he doesn't want too. I don't know what is wrong with this child of mine. He has always loved School, has always made straight A's and A honor roll every year. He is in the RLC program for gifted children because of his grade point average and SAT scores. And now he has C's, D's and an F in math. I just don't know what to do with him. His Teacher sent home all his books and allowed him to make up the assignments that he hasn't turned in to try and bring his grades back up. He's gotten it all done so I hope this helps. He is grounded from everything. The only thing he is allowed to do is read a book. Ya know starve the senses, feed the mind. I just don't know what I am going to do with this youngen. Any advice? I would really appreciate it.

Well I hear my coffee calling me so I'm off. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Blessings to you and yours from me and mine.

****Update**** Calob goes to counseling. He's been going for the past 2 years. But thanks for the advice. He also has a very good relationship with the counselor at his School.

15 comments:

LarryG said...

counseling - it sure sounds like a kid who is at a loss for all that is going on with the VIPs in his life.
maybe take him to your pastor first.
you are so wise to share Kori. this sounds like a cry for help
sending hugs and prayers.

Tiffany said...

I wish I had some advice.

Just love him through it.

Kristin said...

As a former middle school teacher (I don't know what grade he is in) I would agree with the first comment. He is probably reacting to Richard's sickness and feeling "lost". I will be praying for him. You and your family were on my heart so much a church this morning!

Tracy said...

Hi Kori,
The wedding was beautiful, everything went really well...it was such a beautiful day, great weather. I'm still pooped. Today Steve and I had to go clean up the reception area and haul everything back home. I will email you the pictures off my camera as soon as I get them uploaded.
Hope y'all have had a nice weekend....
Love,
Tracy

Tam said...

HMMM I have young boys so NO idea what in the world to say at this time but be sure YOUR make a note because I am sure I will be asking the same thing in the coming years. OOO little boys are sometimes fickle little creatures.

Anonymous said...

I am a life coach who works with moms of gifted children. I'm not sure what age your student is, but this sounds like typical gifted child behavior. Many gifted children get to a point where they ask "What's the point?" They're learning the material; they just don't understand why they have to do work that feels like busy work for them.

That's just one scenario. With gifted kids, so many issues can come into play. To help them, we moms have to figure out the exact issues, then address those. And that takes so much energy! (I just wrote a post on my own blog about this very thing; you can read it here: http://deepwaterscoaching.com/blog/)

I can see from your post that you have many challenges you're facing, let alone advocating for your gifted child. I wish you well, and most of all, I hope that amid everything you're facing, you're finding time and space to take care of yourself. You need and deserve it!

KimmyJ said...

I have a gifted child who has had similar episodes. It passes, just growing pains. I, too, hope you are taking care of yourself.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I think you are doing ALL the right things. So many times at my school, the parent's don't punish the kids and the continue on a downward spiral. Until his school work improves, I would continue the grounding!

You're doing a great job.

I'm glad the shingles are drying up and the lotion is working for Richard.

Charlie said...

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment on my new site! I can't wait to see all the advice people have to offer!

Charlie said...

Oh, I pushed submitt before I was going to tell you that I wish you luck with everything going on in your life and hope it turns out for the best. That is such a hard thing to go through.

The problem with your cute boy and his school work sounds like a good quesiton for my new blog as I am sure there are mom's out there that went through or are going through the same thing and may have some help for you.

Anonymous said...

Well I don't have kids, but I'd agree with those who said he's reacting to Richard. Maybe even a, "what's the point of doing homework, I can just get sick and die" kind of thing. Thinking of you.

Shelley said...

I am not there to know how things are going, but maybe he really doesn't feel like it. Maybe the bigger issues in y'alls lives right now are overwhelming him. Maybe larryg is right and he needs to talk to your pastor. I don't know. But I have said a prayer for him.

Kori said...

Keep him busy; sorry, I know you don't want to hear something so simple, but two of my four so far are scarily gifted, yet Eli last year flunked 6 out of 7 classes-this, depite the fact that he has tested WAAAAAAAY above grade level. Way. Of course, we don't have a TAG program any longer, but really, I found that the more things he got invovled in the better he did.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kori....glad you got some downtime to just chill. I'm sorry I don't have any advise for you on Calob. Sounds like making grounding was the best thing.

Glad your other two guys are feeling a bit better too.....

Susie said...

Good news about the illnesses in your household...

I wish I could give you advice, but it sounds like you are getting a bunch of it already, and they are all great ideas. My first thought was that he has no control over Richard's illness so this is his way of controlling something.