Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Scatter brained

Things have been slightly hectic around here the past week or so.

Richard's pain continues to worsen, he is now on even more pain meds. He is sleeping more throughout the day and taking it easy for the most part.

I got really great news last week. Someone that has worked for the Hospital for well over 20 years wanted to donate 480 hours of their sick time for me to use when I take my FMLA to stay home with Richard when the time comes. I was elated.

It didn't last long as the next day I spoke with the Leave Coordinator and I can't use the donated sick time for FMLA to take care of Richard, it can only be used if I was the one that was sick and needing off. So then I was really bummed and feeling pretty low. I mean possibly 12 weeks, 3 months without pay. (insert scream)

I am more than stressed out about how we are going to pay all the bills when I have to take off. Plus since I won't be getting a check from the Hospital I will have to pay them my part of our insurance. Which is $500 bucks a month. And of course I have to keep my insurance for Richard to be able to get the care he needs. So that plus all our regular monthly bills... well it's more than I want to think about right now.

Then there's funeral cost. This may sound morbid to some but so far this week I have spoken to 3 different Funeral Directors trying to "bargain shop" if you will. We have an appointment the end of May to go make pre-arrangements so that at least some of it will be paid for. Richard doesn't have any life insurance because he has had a chronic illness all his life and they don't give life insurance to people with a chronic illness. If you ask me I think they are the ones that need it the most. Did you know that your basic funeral cost no less than 7 grand. I suggest that if you don't have any life insurance you check into it as soon as possible cause none of us are guaranteed our next breath. It ain't cheap to die.

I do have good news for all of those that have been asking how they can help. We are in the process of establishing a Trust Fund for our family. You can donate any amount of monies to the fund and it will be used when the time comes for me to take off to be with Richard, it will help support our family during that time as well as help with funeral cost. More about this later.

Speaking of the Trust Fund the lawyer we found is doing all the paper work for that pro-bono as well as the adoption of the boys. I still can't believe it. Please pray that my ex will do the right thing in signing over his rights. When this takes place the boys will have entirely new names that we all picked out together. When it's official I will share them with you.

This past week or so I felt overwhelmed, like everything I was trying to do I just kept hitting walls. I am still pretty stressed out about everything. I mean casket shopping is not like car shopping. It is not something I ever thought I would have to do at this stage in my life. I don't know how we are going to be able to afford me taking off to take care of Richard as his cancer progresses. I don't know where 7,000 dollars is going to come from to pay for funeral expenses. I do know that I have to do it now cause when the inevitable happens and my hubby goes on his permanent glorious vacation (this is what we call it for the boys sakes. it helps), I will not be able to then. I am scared of how quickly things seem to be happening. I know it is only a matter of time before he will no longer be able to drive or do anything for himself. This scares me beyond measure.

All I know is that God is God and nothing is to big for Him. I know that He will provide us with everything we need. It's just a little scary sometimes, thank God for the peace He continues to give.

I know it will all be Ok it's just a little hard to see through the tears right now.

34 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

You know you guys have my prayers. I don't know what else to say.

Christy said...

I so want to be there to give you a hug right now.

Trish said...

I can't see through my tears either.

My dear friend, I wish there was more that I could do. I wish I could carry this burden for you.

I am sorry that you all have to go through this.

Love you!

Marrdy said...

You know Kori, I'm not 100% sure, but couldn't the nice lady donate her time off to you prior to going on FMLA? I understood that FMLA was soemthing you used after all your paid time is gone. I am going to check into this for you. It just seems to be one more unfair thing you have to deal with.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Tracy P. said...

I'm so glad you found this lawyer. She is a gift. I can only imagine how overwhelming this is. You are in my prayers.

Lisa said...

I am overwhelmed just reading this, so I can not even imagine how you must feel at this time.
Know that God will work all things out when needed. Grace is for the time when it is needed, not before; therefore sometimes thinking about what is to come is overwhelming.
Take care dear lady. Many prayers are being said for all of you.

Lisa Q

Shelley said...

Speachless for you today, my friend.

Brandy said...

Kori,

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with all this. It just seems that every step forward is followed by one back.

I'll continue to pray for you...

BTW Marrdy, FMLA just guarantees that you can take the time and that your job will still be there when you return at the same pay rate. It does not guarantee that you will get paid for the time.

Michele said...

Oh Kori ~ I so wish I could help you...even to be there with you to "go shopping". I had to do it for my sister and my mother, and I agree, it's not a picnic and it's not cheap. I know that we're friends only through blogland, but if you want me to come down there...any time...I will. I have tons of vacation (I wish I could give you some)...and I would love to drive down there to help you. That's what friends are for. Please just say the word!

Big hugz,
Michele

Michelle said...

oh,my goodness, but how I wish I lived nearby to give you a big fat hug....so many things I'd like to say but in the end words just don't matter. I can't imagine the life you are struggling through right now. My prayers are with you and your family.

Gina said...

Oh Kori. xoxoxoxo.

Michelle said...

Oh, Kori. I feel for you -- thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and Richard. How disappointing that you can't take the sick time for your FMLA. Somehow, some way it will work... and speaking of morbid, have you looked into Costco for caskets? I've heard they're super discounted and you do NOT have to buy one from the funeral home you use....

*hugs* to you

Finding Normal said...

I wish I had advice or something really smart to say. I wish I could say to just trust that it will all work out the way it's supposed to when the time comes. But that's what I struggle with myself. So I will say that I will pray for you. Mean it.

Jane In The Jungle said...

Hugs friend, hugs.

@ said...

I am praying as always. *Please* call me if I can help.

Andee

Betty said...

I wish there was some way I could help. But once you have the trust fund set up, maybe we can donate. We will continue praying and I hope you get some "hands on" help from people who live near you!

Kerry said...

Kori just for kicks and giggles. I would run the FMLA and this donated sick time past the your lawyer.
I have heard from several people although they paid that insurance premuim to keep the insurance, that there is a 30 days grace period as long a letter comes from you with in 15 days stating you were on FMLA. and info pertaining to it. I would call the insurance company as well to see what they require.
http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/ I would read this site as well. As well as reading the revised pages for 2008 which are updates.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both and the boys to.

Anonymous said...

oh my-praying for you.... this post brought me to tears for your family. I am sorry to hear about all of your stress. I hope today is a little better for you. Still praying and always thinking of you...

Christine

Nana Nae's World said...

Kori you should know by now that Wade and I will do whatever we can. We are hoping to come visit very soon, Wade is working 6 days a week right now. If he can't get away soon, I will come by myself if I have too. But I know he is wanting to see Richard also, they grew up together. And I have known Richard, as long as I have known Wade. Wow were those the days. I remember the first time I met you. I fell in love with your boys when they stayed with us. Blame Wade for you, having to buy eggnog every year. Just remember my whole family has you in their thoughts and prayers. I do keep them ALL updated, everytime I talk to any of them. Take care and we will see you soon! Love you all!

Heather said...

Praying for you, Richard and the boys every day.

God will provide, one way or another.

Sending love your way.

Emily said...

Kori, I love you so much. Please know. We love all of you. God Bless.
Love,
EM

Katey said...

Sorry you are overwhelmed...keeping you in my prayers constantly. Regarding the time off from FMLA...I know you can't use the hours for when you need to be home with Richard. But what if you called in "sick." I'm not sure if that's the ethical thing to do...but it might work???

Krissi said...

Hey lady, just wanted to let you know you guys were on my mind tonight! I know you've had a lot on your plate but I pray that God will somehow take the weight of it all and balance it out for you so that you can just take it one day at a time. I know you guys have no kiddo's this weekend and hope that Richard is feeling well enough so that the two of you can enjoy a little alone time together! All my love and prayers, been missing your posts!

Megan said...

((((HUGE GINORMOUS HUGS))) and lots of prayers that everything works out just as it should.

Susie said...

Oh Kori! I know things are going to work out. I wish I was closer to you so I could help. Just know that I am praying constantly for Richard, that he is able to manage the pain and that when the time comes it is peaceful. I am going to send you an email later.

Marrdy said...

Kori-I did some research on FMLA.

Here is the link:
http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs28.pdf

Unless the hospital has a policy that will not allow you to take your co workers paid time off you should be able to use it prior to (or even during) your leave time.

I hope this helps you!

Angie's Spot said...

Sending you big hugs!

xoxo

Melissa said...

Kori, I'm sorry I'm just now getting over here. I don't know what else to say except, I love you and I'm praying for you. Matthew 6:25-34 says it better than I can:
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I'm sure this is a very familiar passage, but it's the first one that came to my mind when I read this post. God is able and He is faithful. Just hide yourself in the shadow of His wing and know that He will provide what you need.

I love you sister.....call me anytime. I'm here if you need an ear.

Mama said...

oh, my heart.

It's not enough to say I'm sorry, not enough to say I still have you on my prayer list, not enough to say anything. Not enough to DO anything.

All the things that have come to mind to write here have already been written: that God will provide when needed, that we are all here for you, that you and your family are surely the apple of His eye and will not be forgotten.

But it's not enough.

Feel this hug, please: {{{{{}}}}}}

Elena said...

Oh dear...what can anyone say? Yes, these things are all drags to have to endure. But I know they will work out somehow. It just the getting through it all that's tough. Hang in there, we're all with you. You're doing great!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Kori...I pray God continues to surround you with His love and provide you with the strength you need. You and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers.

WheresMyAngels said...

Kori, I am so sad that you have come against so many mountains. I know God will help you over each one.

I can't imagine though how hard it is to "shop" for a funeral right now. Prayers out to you for so many things. Hope things have worked out with the ex. Mine would never give away his rights. I'm glad that Mercede is 18 and I cant' wait for Cheyenne to be 18.

Hugs

Anonymous said...

I'm crying for you, Kori. I remember my mom going to the funeral home to plan dad's funeral and burial arrangements. And I remember how morbid but NECESSARY it seemed, even as Dad was still alive at that point. And him KNOWING that we were planning it all. I really feel for you and the boys and Richard. :-( (Did I ever tell you, my dad's name is Richard?)

I'm thinking of you guys.

Auds at Barking Mad said...

Kori...

I haven't read all the other responses, but I would speak with your HR person AGAIN because you CAN take FMLA to care for a sick loved one or SPOUSE...there is a reason it's called the FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE ACT. If your spouse, child or an immediate family member is ill, you can use FMLA time, along with a doctor's note, for that. If you are told anything differently, get an attorney.

I have been an HR consultant and am the daughter of an attorney and I ran this by my mom before posting.

Thinking of you guys and praying for you.