Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Love a little longer

Richard and I first met in September of 2000 in Jacksonville Florida. He was 38 and I was 20. We became fast friends and I don't think either of us expected it to turn into much more than that at the time.

From the very beginning Richard had told me he had Cystic Fibrosis. Of course I didn't have a clue as to what that was. But I was intrigued none the less. So over the course of a couple of weeks I think we had met up about four times. We just talked about life and things in general. He had told me that he was getting sick and that he needed to go in the hospital and that he was going to move back to Alabama. He felt like he wasn't receiving the proper medical care in Florida and thought that things would be better for him if he moved back to his hometown.

So towards the end of September he left... and I missed him terribly. We continued to talk on the phone and we wrote several letters to each other over the course of a month. Then one day during one of our telephone conversations he told me that he was coming back to Florida to get the rest of his things. He then asked if the boys and I would consider coming back to Alabama to live with him. I had to have time to think about this. I was just getting out of a terrible relationship with the boys dad and I have never really lived that far away from my family and friends. So I decided if I was going to set out on this adventure I needed to do some serious research. So I read every book there was to read on CF to better educate myself and to learn what I was up against. And try to decide if this was the life I wanted my boys and I to live. I knew that I loved Richard but I had never had to deal with anything like this before. And considering Richard's age I knew that he was already on borrowed time. But after some talking and serious thinking I decided why not. Richard promised that if I moved to Alabama and didn't like it that he would take me and the boys back to Florida as soon as possible.

So I packed the little bit of belongings we had and on October 25th at 6 in the morning Richard pulled up in a U-Haul truck and we loaded everything I owned. I was nervous but also very excited. Richard and I were just friends and had never hugged, kissed or anything. But there was definately something special between the two of us. We drove for what seemed like days. But we finally made it here.

After only 2 weeks of us living together on November 6th we got married. I don't think either of us really knew what to expect. But I knew that he is the man of my dreams and that I wanted to spend the rest of my life taking care of him. I am so lucky that Richard picked me to be apart of this life that we share. A love like ours doesn't happen for everybody. I wish it did.

I know that our time is now even more limited by the Cancer. Richard is a fighter and he will fight to the finish. He is a wonderful Dad and the boys love him so much. I am so grateful for the past 7 and 1/2 years they have been the best years of my life. And regardless of how much time we have we will continue to Praise God for allowing us to love Richard just a little longer.

0 comments: