Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy Mother's Day Daddy!

In 1989, 20 years ago, I was away spending the night with my bestest friend Tabitha. We were both 9 at the time. We were staying at a condo on St. Augustine Beach.

I remember playing in the salty water and it still being cool since it was only April, the greasy feeling of the sunscreen, feeling the heat radiate off my sun burnt face despite the sunscreen.

I remember the weather was beautiful, the sky the bluest of blue. I remember staying up late watching none other than my favorite movie of all time the Wizard of Oz. I remember laughing and giggling under the covers when we were told to go to sleep.

I remember being shaken awake by Tabitha's Mother telling me I had to go home, she had to take me home now. I remember it still being dark out and the clock reading 4:00 Am.

I remember the talk that we had during the drive back to Starke, Florida where we lived at Kingsley Beach. The talk about God and how sometimes he does things we don't quite understand. I remember the reassurance in her voice as she told me that I was going to be a beautiful woman someday despite everything that was fixing to happen.

I remember pulling through the gate at Kingsley Beach and everyone standing there with long faces. I remember Nancy my Mom's best friend and Tabitha's Grandmother coming to get in the car with me. I remember the silence before she could find the words to say.

I remember this... "Kori there was an accident last night and your Mom, she didn't make it. She's gone honey."

I remember the salty tears that felt hotter than ever on my sun burnt face.

I remember waiting in the diner for my Dad. I remember when my Dad walked around the corner and his eyes met mine and we both began to cry.

I remember my Dad swooping me up into his arms and hugging me and weeping into my hair.

I remember walking to the end of the pier out into the middle of the ocean with my Dad. I remember sitting there on the end with our feet dangling in the cool water, holding hands and not speaking a word.

I remember all the days that followed that one terrible day.

I remember starting a new School and moving in with my Dad permanently, not just for a visit.

I remember Mother's Day every year beginning in 1989. I was in the 3rd grade and all the other kids were making pretty pink cards for their Mother's.

Mine was made from light blue construction paper and it read...

Happy Mother's Day Daddy!
I love you more than there are grains of sand.
Love, Kori

Every year since then, every card has read the same.

Wishing you all a wonderful Mother's Day!

33 comments:

Brandy said...

Tears again...I should know to have the tissues ready.

That is so sad and beautiful all at the same time.

Angie's Spot said...

Oh my, tissue alert! I had no idea that you lost your mom at search an early age. Thank you for sharing such a touching story with us. Your dad raised an amazing woman! I'm glad to call her my friend. :-)

Grand Pooba said...

Wow, that had to be so tough!

Lisa said...

Oh my, that is heart wrenching. How difficult for a little girl; how special your dad must be.

Happy Mother's Day Kori!

Lisa Q

Caroline said...

You made this pregnant woman cry...its not hard to do, but that was such a bittersweet story. I'm so sorry about your mom.

I love what you put in your card to your dad. I bet that means the world to him.

Michele said...

Oh my gosh...I'm crying again. Oh Kori honey, I'm so sorry about your mom. Your dad must be so proud of his little girl, who is now a woman.

Have a very happy mother's day!
Hugz,
Michele

Jane In The Jungle said...

What an awesome tribute to your dad, the woman you are today! Hugs!

Christy said...

GAH...tearing up AGAIN while reading your blog...I so want to hug you every day! Your dad must be an amazing man.

Unknown said...

I was also tearing up while reading. So sorry for your loss.
Happy Mothers Day to you Also! I hope you have a great day!!

Mama said...

And, now, look at what a woman you have become! Surely your mom smiles from heaven, so proud of her girl.

Gina said...

this was very sweet Kori. What a terrible loss, but what a wonderful daddy!!!

Christy said...

I can't imagine experiencing that Kori. How devastating for you. My heart hurts for you as I read this. Bless you and bless your sweet Dad.

Happy Mother's Day to you. Have a wonderful day with your sweet children. :)

Shannon said...

Kid... you've GOT to start giving tissue alerts. The rest of my family is staring at me like I've grown another head... wondering what I'm over here blubbering about!

Happy Mother's Day to you!

xoxo

Betty said...

How tragic! But I´m glad you have a dad who knows how to be a good mom too!
Happy MOther´s Day!

Marrdy said...

Oh my goodness Kori! I have tears running down my face. What a wonderful tribute to your Dad on Mothers Day! Give yourself a hug from your mother, who I know would be so proud of the woman you have become and the wonderful mother and wife that you are. Happy Mothers Day!

Michelle said...

Kori, had I read this first before writing my post where I already cried, I would be crying right now. All I can say is you inspire me. ((hugs))

FlipFlop Mom said...

Girl .. you sure have made some sweet lemonade with the lemons the Lord has handed to you....

You are amazing.. and everything you share is inspiration....
I am so sorry for your loss... but so thankful that you have an amazing daddy!!!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, this is so sad and so sweet at the same time.

It makes me feel like a jerk for the way I behaved yesterday.

Happy Mother's Day,

Anonymous said...

Oh Kori...I'm so sorry. You've experienced some really tough things in your life. Yet you are still so loving and thankful! What a beautiful person you are. You're mom has to be so proud looking down at you from Heaven. And that is the sweetest card to your Dad....it really is. Love you!I hope you had a wonderful day yesterday! And your dad too! :)

Trish said...

I am never coming here again..........


without my box of kleenex.

Your "story" amazes me. I love you more and more each day and hope to "meet" you someday.

Kristin said...

Tears...that is all I have...

Anonymous said...

Oh, crap, there is never a Tissues Alert when you need one. :-*( And like Krystyn said, this story is sad and sweet at the same time. We definitely have to appreciate every single day!

Finding Normal said...

I had no idea. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. (((hugs)))

Linda said...

What an amazingly beautiful story despite the pain of loss. I'm sure your daddy is touched. Thanks for sharing. Hope your mother's day was sweet.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I knew that your mom passed when you were young...but I didn't know the details. I love that you give your dad mother's day cards..because he was both mother and father to you. I can't imagine what that must have been like for you. Not at all.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I knew that your mom passed when you were young...but I didn't know the details. I love that you give your dad mother's day cards..because he was both mother and father to you. I can't imagine what that must have been like for you. Not at all.

Emily said...

Kori, God Bless your heart. Mine is breaking for you.
I love you all and continue to keep you in my prayers.
Em

Heather said...

Kori, that is so sad...

What a blessing to have had your dad, though, despite the loss of your mom. I love the sentiment in your card.

Kristen Andrews said...

Oh Kori I am so sorry, I had no idea. Your readers are right next time I am bringing my kleenex before visiting.

Michelle said...

Oh Kori! That was so beautiful, and I'm with the others in the tears. I haven't yet lost my mom, but I know it will be rough -- someday. I love how you moved to your dad for Mother's Day. That is truly special.

I've been absent for to long, behind on everything and anything with life lately. No posts in awhile... I hope all is well!

Rhea said...

OH, wow, that was so sweet and sad.

Megan said...

Wow. I'm sorry for your loss so many years ago.

The card to your dad is so sweet. (I call my dad, Daddy, too.)

Natalia said...

Kori, I am so, so sorry that you lost your dear mom all those years ago. What pain you had to live with as a little one. That was such a sweet card that you gave to your dad. I bet he had many tears that mother's day too.