When we were told last year in April that the cancer was back and that it was stage 4. I would say that was a very bad day for our family. Well, today was probably the worse day to date so far.
Yesterday the Oncologist was called due to the pain that Richard has been having in his groin. He's not in the Hospital for cancer he is here because of his Cystic Fibrosis. So of course there is a process for everything and when everyone can be called in. Well yesterday was that day where a LOT of people were called in.
Dr. P. the Oncologist ordered a CT scan with Contrast to be done today. He also ordered for Richard to be placed on a morphin pump. Well last night Richard had a really bad episode where he felt like he was being smothered. He felt like he couldn't breathe. So Doctors came rushing and took him to get an Xray of his chest as well as an ultrasound of his abdomen to see how much fluid he might be retaining.
Well the Xray showed that he had a plural fusion, it's where fluid is trapped between the lung and the chest wall and it pushes on the lung. In Richard's case it was the right lung and it had a liter and a half of fluid pressing on it. No wonder he couldn't breathe.
This morning they took Richard to do an ultrasound of his chest. There was talk of chest tubes, drainage and possible surgery depending on what they found. Turns out that the fluid was free flowing in one pocket. So they came in and stuck a ginormous needle in Richard's back on the right side, then went in between the ribs until they hit the pocket of fluid. They started pulling it off into a bag with a very large syringe. The fluid was very bloody due to the cancer. They removed 1300 CC's of fluid. That is a liter and not quite a half. Richard was becoming uncomfortable so they had to stop. But since they got the majority of it they felt like that would be fine. Richard is breathing better now.
There were several concerns about doing the CT scan. Richard isn't able to eat or drink very much at one time. But he had to get down at least 24 ounces of contrast fluid in order to do the test. He managed to get-r-done. But because of some issues with how well is Kidneys are functioning they were not able to give the other form of contrast through the IV.
But the radiologist was able to see what was going on regardless. The news is very disheartening. I felt like I was gonna pass out when the Doctor was telling us. So now I come here to share our almost unbearable news with you.
Richard has several tumors on and in the liver. Also all the lymph nodes going down into his chest and the ones surrounding his Aorta are all enlarged and are all cancerous as well. The organs being involved has just happened since we had the last scan in April. The organs being this involved is not good.
I have never questioned God more than I have today.
Come Monday morning I will be going to the Doctor and turning in my Medical Leave of Absence for the next 12 weeks. I don't know if we have 12 weeks left considering how advanced everything is but whatever time it is I don't wanna miss it. I am nervous about being off work. There are so many uncertainties. I don't know how things will get done. I do know that my place is at home with my Husband and our children. I can't worry about everything all the time. It will work out, God will work it out and it will be alright.
We are still trying to comprehend all the things that have taken place today. We are mentally, emotionally and physically drained.
We just ask that you please remember us in your prayers.
We are leaning solely on the Lord to uphold us and for the everlasting peace that only he can give.
For I am the LORD, your God,











20 comments:
Oh, Kori... I am so sorry. If you need to talk let me know. You are in my prayers constantly.
Dear Lord, I ask that you be with Kori and her family right now as they struggle with this burden. We know that you are with them and you love them and we ask that you keep them in your hands and close to your heart. Be with Richard as he deals with the pain and be with Kori as she deals with her own pain. Be with those two beautiful boys who love that man so much. We know that there is a plan, although it is SO hard to see it and trust You. Support this family and give them some peace and rest in the coming days. Thank you Lord for the time you have given to Richard and the love Kori has experienced as a part of his family.
Kori, I love you. Never forget that no matter how dark the days ahead might be, you have a tremendous amount of people to lean on. I wish I could take even a fraction of your pain and hurt away right now. ((((HUGS))))
Oh Kori honey....I feel so at a loss for words. So many people are praying for y'all now. I pray for you peace and calm in midst of the storm. He is your rock...and He holds all of you in the palm of His hands....just breathe and feel His strength flow through you...He understands.
Love you!!
More than ever you have my prayers.
I know I've really been struggling lately but everytime I pray for you, it's with this sense that the Lord is there and holding you in his embrace. I KNOW this...despite all the other things, religion-wise that I am battling with, this much I know...you all are in the Lord's arms now and he will carry you through this.
Love to you, Richard and the boys.
Audrey
Kori-
I know we have never met but I am in tears reading this. I am so very sorry and will continue to keep your family in my prayers. I cannot imagine what you all are going through. I think of you all so often and hope that you find some peace knowing that so many are thinking of your family.
Christine
Oh Kori!! My heart is breaking for you! I just can't even fathom what this news has done to you. You are always in my prayers and on my mind constantly. I pray that whatever time Richard has left, that it will be as pain-free as possible and that the four of you can just spend all of your time loving on each other and being together.
((((HUGE HUGS))))
I'm so sorry to hear this. I've been at a family reunion this weekend with a cousin who just lost her husband to cancer a little over 2 weeks ago. She was wearing a shirt that said, "Please don't ask me how i'm doing, I'm breathing." I can't imagine how this must feel as the wife. But just know that we are all praying for you and thinking of you constantly.
Kori,
Do you not have a church family that can take over all the duties of running your home while you spend this precious time with your family? I know its hard to ask, but just let someone close by, know your specific needs and I am sure they will be able to help. My thoughts are with you. Kimberly-Canada
Praying for your family,Kori!
Kori, do you know the Exodus 17story of the battle between the Israelites (Joshua and Moses), in which they fought Amalek? As long as Moses stood with his arms held high, the Israelites were winning. If he put down his arms, they began to lose the battle.
When Moses became too tired to hold up his arms, his friends held them up for him.
We are holding up your arms, sweet friend. Don't give up.
Oh Kori. Words just do not express how sorry I am to hear this news. I am keeping all of you in my thoughts & prayers. I wish there was something I could do, but we all know it is in God's very capable hands. Give the boys hugs from Reilly, and tell Richard there are many, many people praying for you. (((HUGS!)))
I m sorry Kori..and no other words other then I am praying for Richard, you and your boys.
I realize there is nothing I can say to make this hurt less. I am so sorry that this has progressed so quickly. Take your leave and rest in our Lord that it will be fine when you return to work.
May the peace of God that passes all understanding calm your heart and mind.
Lisa Q
Praying for you and your family...
Kori - no words can even begin to express my heart. I am praying for you and for Richard. I pray that verse you have posted.
He is always near - He will never leave us. He is our help.
You are precious Kori and I pray strength and wisdom and comfort for you during these very trying and uncertain times.
In His Grip,
Beth
Kori-all I know to say is I am thinking of you guys and praying for you, your family, the doctors, nurses and caregivers.
I'm so sorry that its come to this point. Prayers for strength going out for your family.
Xoxo
Oh, Kori. I'm so sorry to hear this news. I hope and pray tht you have a lot of time and love with your family over the coming months. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. And yes I did my duty over with Shannon. I'll be checking back in later, of course!
Praying, praying, praying!!!
We love you guys.
Post a Comment